Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Is it true that the current Bentley V-8 is based upon Packard's design?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Craig: Some of the so-called short coming you point about the Packard V8 maybe valid, but again they may not be. Except for the oil pump problem, which maybe you and Turbopackman,and PackardV8, might have come up with a solution for.

Every car manufacturer that has ever built or produced an engine has had design flaws and weakness in them, that have had to be addressed. The Chevy small block in 1955 is another engine that comes to mind being plagued with problems. The RR inline 6 B engine introduced in 1946 had many problems which took RR several years to iron out.

I think that HH56 hit the nail on the head, that considering what was going on at Packard, they did a dam fine job on the V8 they introduced.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/31 19:16
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Craig,

I have noticed only two versions of the cam retainer plate and spacer. Can you give me part numbers for the three?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/6/18 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
I too had heard that story about RR cribbing the Packard V8 but I always figured that it was in relation to the first generation Rolls engine and certainly not the later aluminum jobs.

There IS precedent for Rolls copying Packard though, it's reported that they practically stole the Junior cars independent front suspension.

Regarding the GM supplied Hydramatics...supposedly the RR engineers disassembled an early sample and discovered some parts had a very rough cast finish to them. That would never suffice on such a highly refined autocar as a Rolls, so they blasted the finish smooth with walnut shells and then after cleaning, carefully reassembled it...only to discover that it no longer worked!

After contacting GM they learned the rough surface was there for a reason! It permitted the transmission fluid to cling to it. Dunno how true any of that is but it does illustrate the propensity of the Brits to fix things that aren't broken.

But you know what's REALLY scary? Airbus planes use avionics made by LUCAS!! Why do you think those in the know call them Scarebus?

Posted on: 2009/9/7 0:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
There weren't many engines that went on to careers with subsequent manufacturers or in other appliations; the three that come to mind are the Pierce-Arrow 8 & V12 and the Lycoming V12 that went on to very long careers powering fire engines of Seagrave and American LaFrance (?), and though not the same engine, some of the design elements of the Franklin engines that were modified for a small number of Tuckers, and for a very large number of Korean war helicopters.

One more to mention is the small Buick V8 that was sold to Rover in the Mid-Sixties. Initially with 3.5 litres (215 ci), this engine powered generations of Rovers (P5B, P6, SD1), Range Rovers, and Land Rovers. It even powered British cars as the MG V8, the Triumph TR8, some TVR's and, of course, the Morgan Plus Eight.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 5:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Yep a refined/modified version of that engine was in production up to about 10 years ago.

GM sold the tooling for the Buick V6 and the Chevy inline 4 (used in early Novas AKA Chevy II) to Kaiser Jeep. Fast forward to the first gas crisis and GM bought both back...eventually redesigned the V6 with split crank journals to allow for even firing, renaming it the 3.8 and it eventually became a mainstay of GM...Buick went nuts and put a hair drier on it. While across town Pontiac slapped a crossflow head on the 4 and rechristened it the Iron Puke, er Duke and even offered a Super Duty race version good for 300 horsies.

Some other engines used beyond their original applications that I recall include a Mopar flathead 6 that was used in forklifts and industrial applications for years...the Continental flathead 6 used in Kaisers/Frazers and even Checkers...Ford of Europe's V4 used in many British Fords and by Saab in addition to stationary apps...and last but not least, the infamous Crosley! I don't have enough electrons to type all the variants of this mini mite.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
...and don't forget the Buick 3.8 also went to Indy. Talk about going beyond the original application! The only rule variation they received was allowing more boost, because they were a pushrod design. The lone one out there, of course.

Posted on: 2009/9/12 23:31
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved