Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 engine into a 48...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
What do I need to do to put a 54 Packard engine into a 48?

Posted on: 2012/1/20 22:26
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 engine into a 48...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Biggest problem is motor mounts are different. Because of that the later engines won't just drop in.

There is an article in this service counselorhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL27NO7.pdf and some supplemental info and detail changes a couple of issues later detailing how to install a 53 engine in place of the older 356 engines. No mention on replacing engines other than the 356 but mounts were similar so other than possible hole location, probably not much difference.

Some holes to drill, front end items had to transfer from old engine to accommodate new and supply the mount. Some items were part of a kit in which you would have to find the individual items or fabricate. Fan was an item needing work.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 22:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 engine into a 48...
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe you would need the front motor mount, timing cover, and crank pulley off a 1950 motor or prior 327/288 motor. Those will bolt to the front of the 51-54 blocks, and then you should be able to drop the motor in with any problems.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 3:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved