Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 89

Roadster, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

288 intakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I have decided to press my 288 L8 into service and I am hoping to keep it a fairly low budget build up (unlike my 52 327). I'm planning to build my own intake manifold and do a good rebuild on the engine and do something fancy to the exhaust and if i can find someone who will touch it regrind the cam. I'm wondering if anyone has made a custom intake for the L8 before and what their experience was I want more of a hot rod look than the stock 4bbl and the original Edmunds 2X2 is out of the budget for this build any help would be great.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 22:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 288 intakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hope you can find someone locally to regrind your cam, as round-trip shipping that long hunk of iron is expensive. If you can't, I've got a guy who does mine semi-reasonably.

As far as the intake, are you looking at one, two or four carbs? The Packard LaCarrera had three, IIRC, and the Studebaker Indy I8s had four. I know a guy with a water jet cutter who can make up the intake and exhaust flanges at a reasonable price.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/2/4 10:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 288 intakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Not really sure on the number of carbs quite yet. I have 4 singles that came off of Chev 6's that I was thinking of using for no other reason than having them. I do have several 2G style carbs of various condition and there easy enough to find to where I could easily put together 3 without destroying the bank. I like the concept of the 4 singles the best but how would the performance be? What does your guy charge for a reground cam and the flanges for the intake and exhaust?

Posted on: 2012/2/4 11:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved