Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

5587 Starter Woes times two
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
My 400's starter (s) are giving me problems. Last weekend, the car weakly cranked over. I thought I had a weak battery. Moments later, I started the car and the starter produced a continued high screeching squeel. I turned the key off and the squeel continued until I disconnected the battery ground. With that, I decided that there must be something wrong with the starter. This starter has been in the car since the restoration was completed on July 2010. To get the car home, I whacked the starter casing with a big hammer and it turned over as normal.

I took an extra starter I had on the shelf from an old parts car and had it rebuilt locally by a reputable shop. Today, the newly rebuilt starter was put into the car and very disappointedly, the starter will only start after taking a whack with the hammer.

All thoughts appeciated.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 19:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 5587 Starter Woes times two
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Different or first solenoid with the rebuilt starter?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 19:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
It does sound like a faulty solenoid.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:03
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Hummmmmm. Good question. Didn't occur to me whatsoever. I simply assumed it was new. Be calling them in the A.M.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The starter running without stopping is for sure most likely a bad solenoid, or sticking ignition switch.

Guaranteed it would not be the starter itself.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Ignition switch? Hummmmm.....same one with both starter units.........need to l@@k at that too.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55-6 switches were flimsy units compared to older. Sticking is a good possibility for the first problem but your description of the rebuilt starter needing a whack sort of puts it behind the solenoid--unless the whack is strong enough to vibrate switch as well.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know the '54 ignition switches had a problem with sticking, and the reason why they were a one year only design. But you could turn the key and "unstick it".

I agree that the problem is most likely a sticking solenoid. Those style solenoids should still be available locally.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
from post #1:
"the starter will only start after taking a whack with the hammer."

tHAT IS AN INDICATION THAT THE starter gear is NOT retracting after everything is shut off. If gear remains engaged in flywheel it will put too much load on starter and starter will not spin or spin very slowly. Hitting with hammer will shake it loose and cause it to retract thus allowing it to start the next time..

Also note that the ign sw. of 55 and 56's had a problem with KEY POSITION remaining in STARTer position (i.e. NOT returning to IGNITION POSITION) once key is released so check for that. It is easy to overlook. If starter remains engaged for any reason while engine is running then there is a strong possibility that the armature windings will get thrown due to the centripital force of spinning so fast ewven at idle speed.

There is also a possibility that there is somekind of electrical feedback in the wiring. But check the above causes first.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 21:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTW, don't whack the starter too hard with a hammer. The cast mounting flange can break off or some other damage done. Ok to hit it a good whack but only about enuf to drive a 2" finishing nail worth of force.

I'm assuming it's delco. The solenoid is a actualy a solinoid with built in relay. Sometimes the relay portion of the solinoid can hang up. BUt only if the relay portion was not rebuilt. It is easy to rebuild unless the parts are very bad. It is more or less just a clean up of the heavy gauge contacts inside of the relay portion. Most mechanics won;t do it.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved