Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 224

DM37, Don B, kevinpackard, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Door handles droop, 37, 120
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Still learning about my new car! It is a 37, 120 coupe convertible. The door handles droop yet I can see no evidence of springs in the mechanisms, like are on a Ford product, to reposition the handles. Are there supposed to be return springs? If so what do they look like and where can I get them? Or, what repositions the handles if not springs?

Thanks in advance for all your expert advise,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/6 18:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Door handles droop, 37, 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear rsvs:

Door handles usually droop due to wear in the mechanism.

You have two easy options:

a) build up the square on the handle and regrind it in non-drooping position

b) very carefully heat the shaft with a torch and give it a twist. Note: too much heat will melt the pot metal.

I won't go into the hard options like disassembling the mechanisms and building up the worn parts.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2012/2/6 19:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
option 3....Contact David Flack for all your '37 door handle needs.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for all the advise! First, the handle shafts are not loose or worn and seem to be tight in their respective square sockets. It appears that the sockets are not returning to their correct positions.

Secondly, who is David Flack and how do I contact him? I do not see his name anywhere in the listings.

Thanks,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/7 22:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
His username on here is Flackmaster. You can send him a PM or email him at flackmaster AT sbcglobal DOT net.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 22:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Actually there are two springs inside the door latch mechanism, both available. One is the traditional "snail spring" which is probably good, the other is known as a "clothspin spring" and is more likely the source of your problem. I'm pretty sure John Ulrich sells the clothspin spring for $15. I will endeavor to pull out a latch mechanism in a day or two and post a photo - it is a bit different from the closed car latches. DAF

Posted on: 2012/2/7 23:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for your help David! I figured that there had to be some springs in there somewhere. I can not see them from looking down in the window channel from the top.

I await your pictures,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/8 11:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
After all the good responses, I did some more looking down into the door from the window slot. I found the snail springs and they seem to be doing their job. What I did notice is the slop seems to be in the connection between the handle and the square shaft that operates the mechanism. I would have thought that the shaft and handle would be one piece? How is the shaft attached to the handle?

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/9 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Conv. coupe door latches as pictured. Note the "clothes pin" spring towards the top (right), missing on left. Not that it is easy or fun to remove the latches, but once done, cleaned and new spring(s) as necessary, your handles/latches will operate much better. There is 70+ years of accumulated gunk keeping the mechanism from operating smoothly...

Attach file:

jpg  (100.73 KB)
439_4f394c3e809f7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/13 12:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for the pictures! I am currently traveling so can not check out my car's latches. When I get home in mid March, I will do some more checking. I think my problems are two fold: 1- things are dirty and need cleaning and lubrication and 2- the shafts appear to be loose in the handles. I think I need to go through the whole mechanism.

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/13 13:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved