Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Caribbean 55 Rear brake!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Last spring I removed both rear drums from my 34 Packard, basically using BigKev's method with one exception. With the dogbone REALLY tight, I gave one smart rap with a short--handled 4 lb hammer to the axle shaft via the threaded puller shaft, as PackardV8 has already suggested. The drums had been on for about 45 years and both were off within 15 minutes of attaching the puller.

It can be essential to back off the brake shoes; if they have been on long enough to wear the drum and leave a ridge on the outer edge of the drum, even though the shoes are not in contact with the drum, they may not clear the ridge.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.60 KB)
177_4f3e93da65146.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/17 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
As someone who has "been there" recently, all I can say is to have patience. It took me three (3) days of work to get the hub off of the rear passenger's side axle of my '55 Patrician. Those three days consisted of hitting the handle with a hammer until it was pretty tough to go any farther, then let it sit for a few hours and come back and bang again. On the third day, with one of my hits, there was a loud "bang" and the hub came off. Ironically, when I went to remove the driver's side rear hub, it came off in ten (10) minutes. Go figure.

One important word of advice, though, please put the axle nut back on the axle up to the end of the nut. If you don't, the brake drum may shoot off the axle when it finally gives way. That advice was given to me when I was pulling the hubs and it was wise advice indeed!

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/2/17 21:27
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Like I posted above, if you want the drum off NOW, do it the way I posted and illustrated. Otherwise, wait days and keep banging.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/2/17 21:40
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved