Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Resonators or not?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I need to install a completely new dual exhaust system on my 56 Pat. The current exhaust has no resonators installed and I was wondering if Packard produced any cars in the 56 model year without resonators. I would like to keep it as original as possible. I had a 56 Cadillac coupe deville (man what a car)way back in the sixties that was one of less than a hundred produced without resonators so I know not all of the big cars with V8s had them.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 9:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Resonators or not?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'm only aware of senior cars with resonators. I have seen many V-8 Packards without them, and to me they are too loud, not wisper-quiet like a Packard should be.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Are you saying the car is quieter with or without the resonator. I don't like a loud noisy exhaust. The Packard parts manual shows resonators on the 5680 as standard so I'm guesing they were all supplied with resonators.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 12:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Seniors all came with resonators, not sure about the juniors and/or single exhaust models. Many folks omit the resonators, perhaps for cost as they are expensive. Despite my usual passion for originality, I replaced the resonators with glasspacks. The car is generally very quiet but when I get on it, it barks nicely.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton (John), do you remember how loud my soon-to-be-ex Patrician was? It was pretty much straight exhaust and dual glasspacks, and I didn't think it was too loud. OR... Do I need a hearing aid??

Posted on: 2008/4/5 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Eric--your '56 Pat wasn't necessarly loud, but I figured you like the performance aspect, ergo the supercharger.
I have heard Packard V-8s that were wisper quiet, as quiet as a Packard 12 or R-R (these where V-8s that didn't have lifter noise obviously) and they all have resonators.
Engineering for silence of operation is a completly different discipline than engineering for performance (racing). I personally like a fine car that is very quiet in operation.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What about Bentley? "The Silent Sports Car"? That was going to be my goal if I would have kept the Patrician.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 13:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
One of the simpler pleasures I enjoy is leaving the cruise at night's end and having to blink parking lights to make strollers aware I am behind them. I never turn on the headlights till I clear the parking area, and I hate to blow the horn. While all the Chebbies and Fords are making noise and revving their engines, I just sort of drift out of my spot and roll softly to the exit. I have heard comments about the quietness and smooth exit as I leave. "Is that thing running?" "Yeah, it never makes a sound."

Posted on: 2008/4/14 23:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved