Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Wile Family's Second Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I must have married one of the best women in the world as we are now a two-Packard family. Our first Packard - a 1955 Patrician 4-door touring sedan, is currently in the garage undergoing a mechanical re-build. While perusing the various web sites for parts, I noticed a 1955 Four Hundred Coupe for sale nearby and going for a reasonable price. The Four Hundred had the advantage of being in driveable condition with some of the major body work and interior work already performed. So, with my wife's blessing, we bought our second Packard and she is looking forward to crusing around this spring and summer once all the mechanical systems have been checked out and the power windows once again become operational.

The 1955-1956 Packards have long been my favourites, notwithstanding the beauty of the 1920s and 1930s Packards, I am simply a child of the 1950s and make no bones about it. When the Four Hundred arrived, my neighbours were quick to drop by for a look when they noticed I was working on something or other with the car.

The Four Hundred is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. The heater needs to be re-installed and the hoses re-connected and then tested. As I mentioned earlier, the power windows are not operational and have to be repaired. While the power seats appear to work somewhat, there is a problem with one of the motors that requires attention. The engine runs rough and could use some TLC and the brakes need some adjustment.

On the plus side, the car was re-painted about 15 years ago and while it could use a new coat of paint, it is presentable and quite servicable for a driver. There is quite a bit of trim missing and the car currently has '56 tail lights with the hexagon rather than the '55s with the golden "V", but that is minor. The seats were re-upholstered some time ago and the carpets were replaced. All of the guages on the control panel work with the exception of the engine temperature guage. The power antenna works as does the original station-seeking radio. Even the cigar lighter works! (Not that this is important since both my wife and I are non-smokers).

As time permits, I'll be doing the detail stuff so that the car is ready for the road by the Spring. I still have to arrange for insurance and getting PA antique tags for it before we can legally put it on the road -- but that is coming.

The Four Hundred gives us a Packard to enjoy while the major restoration work centres on the Patrician, which I envision as our "formal" sedan while the Four Hundred will be the sporty or around town car.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.74 KB)
3929_4f46eb574611f.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (104.93 KB)
3929_4f46eb6a4ae58.jpg 1280X828 px

jpg  (120.09 KB)
3929_4f46eb795faf9.jpg 1145X882 px

jpg  (93.62 KB)
3929_4f46eb85e7262.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (89.82 KB)
3929_4f46eb997b6df.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (76.38 KB)
3929_4f46eba5e2924.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2012/2/23 20:57
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=http://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print 

Re: Wile Family's Second Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Another multi-Packard family. Ahh, life is good! And compliment your bride for me.
Remember AColds' axiom - If she aint happy, you aint happy!
What a treasure - the car and the bride!

Posted on: 2012/2/23 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Congratulations on a excellent joyce. I like to color of this car, its really something do be desired.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 3:04
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Congratulations.

This is the exact color combination of my '55 400. I just wish mine was as far along as yours. She's a beauty.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 11:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Congratulations. Nice car.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/2/24 12:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Also, if you need the ribbed aluminum trim down the doors and front marker light areas, I have them. I parted out a '55 400 a couple of years ago.

PM me if interested.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 17:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I've done some routine maintenance work on the Four Hundred when the weather was nice. The old headlamp bulbs were replaced with new Xenon bulbs that I had originally picked up for the Patrician. Aiming the right hand side one has been a challenge due to a damaged headlight bucket. I fixed the bucket and will be back to trying to correctly aim that headlight when the weather improves.

The dash needs to be cleaned up but it looks promising. I also replaced the ratty wiper blades with replacements that I had also originally bought for the Patrician. It has been a long time since I had a car with vacuum wipers and I had forgotten how slow those things are. Step on the gas and they stop. Brings back memories. I think replacing most of the vacuum lines is probably in order.

The most pressing project under the hood appears to be replacing the heater core and re-installing the heater hoses with new hose lines. The prior owner had just replaced the core and had not yet replaced the lines. I'm not too happy with the shape of the core he put in and I'll most likely yank that out and put in a spare that I picked up a few months ago.

Playing with the idle screw has resulted in a better running engine, although it is still rough. There is a new distributor cap and plug wires on it and I'm wondering if the new stuff is compatable with the older engine. I've read some posts about higher resistance wiring and stuff causing Packard engines some problems. I wonder if I should get plug wires that are designed for the older engines. Thoughts??

Enough for now. Thanks for all of the best wishes regarding the new acquisition.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 22:52
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
A cold rainy day here in the Commonwealth so I busied myself with some administrative chores. I finally attended to the paperwork for insuring and titling the Four Hundred as an antique vehicle in Pennsylvania and applied for antique registration plates. I had to re-take a picture or two in the rain to satisfy PennDOT requirements so the bureaucrats can see it is pretty much a stock 1955 Packard. I was told that the turnaround time for the application was around a week or so (I'm using a messenger service).

I also started going through the wealth of trim pieces that came with the 400. To my amazement, I found the missing pieces of "Reynolds Wrap" trim for the front fenders, doors, and rear quarter panel. I also found the front fender script "The Four Hundred," although the script was in less than splendid condition with a number of mounting pins broken off and missing. So far, the rear trunk script "Packard 400" is MIA (missing in action).

The prior owner replaced the heater core but did not reattach the heater hoses. Fortunately, the heater on the Patrician is untouched and I can see where the heater hose connections go from the Patrician.

The fuel filter is also missing between the carburetor and the fuel line between the carburetor and the fuel pump. I picked up a NOS Carter fuel filter and the connection fittings and plan on installing that once the fittings arrive.

Stay tuned. Additional photos will be forthcoming once the sun returns and I have the time to take them!

Posted on: 2012/2/29 20:54
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Keystone State is a happy place to be.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.59 KB)
23_4f4ee4830eec6.jpg 225X225 px

Posted on: 2012/2/29 21:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your wipers are really that sluggish, chances are that the motor needs lubrication or rebuilding, or that the vacuum booster pump isn't functioning properly, or both. Wipers on my 56 Carib are pretty snappy and though they do slow down a bit if you really nail the throttle, they still sweep at a reasonable rate.

If you don't want to tackle the motor yourself, Ficken Wiper Service is the best there is.

Posted on: 2012/2/29 23:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved