Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

brake switch to abs master cylinder with electric pump
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
i am trying to add disks to the front and have a manual brake 56 clipper I have a master cylinder made by abs brakes which is a direct bolt on for the treadle vac unit but i don't have this type of setup . I am looking for a treadle vac plate for the floor and the bracket and pedal for the treadle vac unit. also i am wondering if anyone has tryed to remove the manual brakes from the underside of the car it looks like a press fit between the two frame rails . i could cut it but would like to not destroy it can it be hammered out or is there another way to remove it thank you for all your help as usual

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:02
 Top  Print   

Re: brake switch to abs master cylinder with electric pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Should just be two bolts through the side holding it to the frame-rail.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have a master cylinder made by abs brakes which is a direct bolt on for the treadle vac unit but i don't have this type of setup .

I'm curious about your use of this setup. Did they say it would work as a bolt in on a Packard or were you planning on reworking the pedal.

The only treadle vac direct conversion I am aware of is the replacement advertised for some GM cars. The base booster on the replacement is the same dual diaphragm 7" which some here have used in their conversions -- but has needed pedal changes. Other suppliers have said that unit will not work for us as a bolt in.

The non Packard (GM) BTV's were mounted higher on the firewall and had benefit of a greater pedal ratio than is available with the low mount Packard position. Ours is a direct 1:1 and brake sites say that type replacement booster needs between 4 and 5:1.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 23:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
this setup fits the treadle vac floor pan with no modificarion it is called the electric high power master with in line accumulator, it has an electric hydraulic pump which is supposed to allow you full brake power for ten stops after the electric fails and gradually gets worse instead of instant fail.they also sell a bolt on kit for the disk brakes too. the only down side is it was expensive i checked with my other packard and the plate bolts on perfectly but not a lot of room to hook the lines up i will take pictures as work progresses .
have to spend weekends out of town with wife due to her being treated for cancer in richmond. 2 hours away,
i bought this system 2 years ago and don't remember exactly what i paid but i think around 1800 with kit for disc included i then bought a second clipper and decided to convert the other one . the first one is more of a parts car at this point but i may try the pick up or station wagon mod eventually.
the manual brake is not attached with a bolt it appears to be pressed on through the chassis
the part number is 1057 from abs
for use with the packard it has a nice bracket mounted to the rear of the cylinder which is direct bolt on
the electric pump is what takes care of the 1 to 1 pedal ratio will let you know when i know

Attach file:

pdf Size: 353.29 KB; Hits: 42

Posted on: 2012/2/24 0:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Makes more sense now. Has been mentioned before and several have referred to it as the Electro-boost as ABS has advertised it on occasion. I believe Mat from Australia has one also--but don't think he's driven his car yet to try it out.

Mike Dulinski should have the plate & pedal parts. If not, the 56 pedal is fairly simple and a reasonable copy can be fabricated if it comes to that. Pictures and dimensions are available.

This is what many places are selling as a direct bolt in BTV replacement and what I pictured from your description. Works fine -- unless it is mounted in the location ours is.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.82 KB)
209_4f47a57cd7396.jpg 871X260 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 10:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I finally got around to fitting the abs brake into the treadle vac plate and installing it in the fire wall and have to say it fits nice . the peddle height is unchanged im am so glad i have a parts car with no front end to practice fit it because there are no instructions as to which direction it mounts tried with the bracket facing down and the end of the master cyl bottomed out on the frame , tried flipping it so the bracket would hold it a bit higher but the bracket touched the stearing collumn tried with bracket in board and the bracket touched the shift rod, the last possibility was to angle the master to the out board or left side and taaaa daaaah it fit perfectly.angled right over the frame, this is a bolt on solution.
why cant these jokers at abs send a little instruction sheet with the 1800 dollar order, i called and got a mexican dude who said every way will work i tried to press him for more info but it was as if they think i was on the design team or something. i took some pics but will have to down load them.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 22:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I have to say when i took a closer look at the car on wheels i noticed the master cylinder would be located in the wheel well and i chose not to cut that hole in the left inner fender so i am back to the angle to the right this interferes with the shift linkage but i belive i have solved that i guess i am on the engineering team after all when i figure out my camera and computer hook up i will post pictures

Posted on: 2012/3/8 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is your mount the same as Mat is using on his conversion? Here are a couple of his photos borrowed. His cylinder appears to angle and tuck in near steering box as does the vacuum booster setup I have been working on. Just wondering if any differences in mounts. I see his looks like it is close to linkage as well so maybe an issue?

Mine would also have a problem but not a concern in this case as I have none. I believe it was PackardV8 who suggested making a new vertical rod with a bend to clear the booster should it be an issue in my case. Maybe a slight bend to clear cylinder in yours.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.06 KB)
209_4f594a581869a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (41.63 KB)
209_4f594a607385b.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2012/3/8 19:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
mine is very close to this i have an older model my vac booster is mounted to the frame under the master cylinder and the little bottle that is baseball sized is attached to the unit that is how i know mine is a earlier model,
i had to modify the bracket because in reverse the shift bar on the column would interfere. i grinded the corner off of the bracket and reworked the linkage and it all looks good so far.
my linkage goes in front of the booster and curves around to the bracket next to the transmission
I would like to see a photo from straight in front of and above the master cylinder

Posted on: 2012/3/8 22:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
these are photos of my master cyl and shft linkage modifications
#1 location of electric pump on frame also visible is the e brake cable bracket at left front
#2 and 3 with master cyl mounted on parts car shift rod in reverse
#4 and 5 looking down to give perspective or rod to master cyl and general location of master
#6 and 7 with shift rod in park position
#8 comparison of stock and modified rods rod was turned upside down to retain adjustability and a sleeve added to join to new rod and bottom retainer was welded to top of rod

Attach file:

jpg  (99.87 KB)
2263_4f5ff605836a6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (105.57 KB)
2263_4f5ff6109f974.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (141.01 KB)
2263_4f5ff62477791.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.55 KB)
2263_4f5ff636cc637.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.05 KB)
2263_4f5ff64904201.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (126.04 KB)
2263_4f5ff65842099.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (131.24 KB)
2263_4f5ff6652d696.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (72.81 KB)
2263_4f5ff6711bb52.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/13 20:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved