Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

engine colors 1955 v8
Just popping in
Just popping in

datsundoug
See User information
Where can i look to find the proper engine block, intake, exhaust, etc colors for a 1955 Patrician? Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 18:09
 Top  Print   

Re: engine colors 1955 v8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Exhaust manifolds were natural cast iron though some folks paint them with Eastwood's stainless high temperature paint which resembles natural cast iron after a couple of heating cycles. The engine block and intake manifold are white, bordering on ivory. Bill Hirsch sells the correct engine enamel, though if you had a fresh and clean sample, you could use any good quality enamel and tint to match.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Note that Hirsch's ivory paint will discolor around the hot exhaust areas. This has happened to me and KevinAZ.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/3/5 18:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Here you go.

The burned marks continue to make me crazy. I need to see a therapist about it because I end up repainting the burned areas once a month!

Attach file:

jpg  (44.99 KB)
20_4f55747b0496f.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (45.04 KB)
20_4f55748a74ce4.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2012/3/5 21:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
The burn is normal, happened at the factory too I'm sure. There is a member on here who plugged the holes so that wouldn't happen. Owen or Randy I believe, can't remember.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 22:03
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yeh, I did!

Attach file:

jpg  (5.35 KB)
23_4f558c75562ed.jpg 166X196 px

Posted on: 2012/3/5 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Yeh, I did!

SO DID I!!

I just discovered that a 1 3/8" freeze plug fits nicely and should solve the problem. As mentioned by others, if you plan on a lot of cold weather driving this may not be the ideal fix. This engine however is a marine conversion that won't see cold weather operation.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.11 KB)
123_4f56cea2bd51f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.94 KB)
123_4f56ced4a6d94.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/6 22:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Gee, that looks familiar!

Posted on: 2012/3/7 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't address the issue with a marine situation, but in my view blocking off the heat to the base of the carburetor is not a good idea. For proper combustion you want the gasoline in a vapor form, not an aerosol of fine spray and heat is beneficial to vaporizing the fuel.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Can't address the issue with a marine situation, but in my view blocking off the heat to the base of the carburetor is not a good idea. For proper combustion you want the gasoline in a vapor form, not an aerosol of fine spray and heat is beneficial to vaporizing the fuel.

I agree in cold weather operation, however as pointed out in another thread the heat riser valve on the left exhaust only directs the exhaust to the intake for a short period of time until the flapper spring opens. You then have the equivalent of a closed off heat passage (if my understanding is wrong, please let me know). Most (all?) modern engines don't rely on the exhaust through the intake manifold for fuel vaporization. In fact, in forced induction engines, the fuel/air charge is actually cooled via an intercooler to provide a more oxygen dense mix. Also, in the case of the Packard V8, the heat exchange from the heads to the intake manifold would accomplish the desired effect once the engine is at operating temps. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but my understanding is that the heat riser valve and the exhaust pass through the intake is primarily for a quick warm-up. If I were operating the engine is a Wisconsin winter I wouldn't advise blocking the passage in the heads, but especially in a pleasure boat application (read summer cruising) where the engine is in an unventilated enclosure I feel the ambient heat and the transfer of heat from the heads and block to the intake manifold will provide good vaporization of the fuel as it enters the intake.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 12:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved