Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

noisy lifters (hydraulic)
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Hey all, finally got my ol Packard on the road!!! Well, sort of....

My engine his a 327 with hydraulic type lifters, out of I think a cavalier. It runs fine, and makes enough power to move on down the road, but there is a lot of lifter noise. Definitely is all of them making noise, I'm thinking lack of oil getting to them...

When i was plumbing in the oil filter I found that what I think is an oil galley port on the side of the block, driver side, towards the rear of the engine, that has no pressure coming from it. The port below and to the right of it has good pressure (around 30lbs at idle) and I plumbed into that. But what's the deal with the seemingly blocked oil galley? Could this be relates to the lifters making noise?

Another note, the noise is not "loud" per se, just a clatter like a diesel.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:14
 Top  Print   

Re: noisy lifters (hydraulic)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The oil gallery feed is on the driver side. There should be a short U shaped pigtail between a tee like fitting on bottom where the oil sender is. The gallery feed is just above it to supply oil to the lifters. One side of tee would go to factory oil filter (if you have one) and other side of tee goes to gallery. Sender is in the middle. There is supposed to be a restriction in the fitting on the side that goes to filter. Make sure the pigtail is present, open, and the restriction goes to the filter not the gallery.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.74 KB)
209_4f5834313d750.jpg 496X411 px

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thanks!!

Just to make sure I got it straight- the should be a T coming out of the gallery WITH pressure, with a line that goes to the gallery above it that does Not have pressure....? As of now, I have a T coming out of the block with a line to a gauge and a line to the filter. So i just need a line to the empty gallery and i should be in Lifter city?

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bottom port is the pressure from pump and feeds the gallery. Once connected, top port will have some pressure via pigtail. The upper port is just a straight in fitting from the pigtail.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thank you so so much!!! You just saved me so much frustration!!! I don't have a restriction fitting for the filter, but being a bypass filter anyway I'll just run that line into the lifter gallery. Should be fine for at least a little while. Thanks again!!!

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, if you don't have a connection between that bottom port (pressure out), and the top port (valve train inlet), you are effectively starving the lifters.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 0:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure how good an idea running supply thru the filter is on those engines.. Originally some were plumbed that way but several service bulletins were issued re noisy lifters. Some plumbing changes were made on those first engines with the filter in series so the oil supply did not go thru the filter before the lifters. Has been the straight in pigtail for the lifter gallery ever since.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 0:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The later filter were designed for by-pass plumbing (dump back to oil pan) setup only and had the inlet on the side, outlet on the bottom and did not have an internal pressure by-pass.

The older per-war filters which had the inlet on the bottom and outlet on the side have a built in by-pass (in the event the filter became clogged) and those were plumbed in full-flow mode (non by-pass to pan).

Posted on: 2012/3/8 0:26
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I should've worded that differently... I meant run a line to the lifter gallery and NO filter.

But regarding the filter, since we're on the subject... My filter housing has two ports in the bottom- one that goes into the center tube (oil in?) and another that just goes into the housing (out?) And there is also a port in the side of the housing facing the firewall... Does that mean it could go full flow or bypass? At any rate I will just run no filter for the time being.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 0:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Take a pic of that filter. Never seen one with three ports.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 0:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved