Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 160

ElGroucho, Peter Packard, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Need an intake manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Cort - on your photo of the manifold, there is a device under the carb with two wires running to it. What is the device? I have one on my 51, but no wires to it. The starter on my car has been modified to work with a button in the dash, rather than under the gas pedal, so that might be it. thanks

Posted on: 2012/3/9 23:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'll try and stop and take photos today.

That is indee the vacuum starter switch. As i understand it, when you push the pedal all the way down with engine not running, there is a metal ball that conducts power between the wires and allows the starter to turn over. When the engine is running, the ball is pulled away by vacuum and if you push the pedal all the way down when running, it doesn't conduct and run the starter.

The manifold i put on was a 4bbl, and a gentleman here happened to have the correct 4 bbl carb nos (or like nos) and me a deal so i could afford it. It had the same switch wires as the 2bbl in that pic. Otherwise i would have had to modify as your car to bypass the carb switch. Also, on the 4bbl, the linkage is on the inside of the carb instead of the outside. I will modify my linkage so that it can run either, as i kind of have it "rigged" at the moment to just work well, but not as clean as i'd like. I still must have the outside linkage to run the TV ro to the ultramatic.

Edit: and i do beleive that there is no button under the gas pedal, i think just a spring loaded throttle return stop. I beleive the starting by pedal setup is all in the linkage at the carb and that switch.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The starter switch operation comes up from time to time so will post the description and service instructions again so new posters can have reference.

The operation description above is correct except the ball itself does not carry the current. One of the common problems is the contacts in the switch which do carry the current can arc, burn, get dirty, and in general make poor contact. Removing, cleaning or repairing does take a bit of attention to detail to get things back together properly.

I believe the spring loaded plunger at the accelerator was discontinued during the 51 production.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 285.77 KB; Hits: 38

Posted on: 2012/3/12 10:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks Cort and HH!! I have no idea how the starter switch works, I just think it is too cool! I love starting the old girl up with a new rider watching. It ALWAYS leads to questions, that's one of the things I love about my Packard.

That being said, I want to own a 51, 2, 3 or 4 someday, how do they start? Do they use a starter button or are they in the modern key fashion? I would love to own a 300, 400 or one of the hard tops from those years... or even a 200 or a 250 with the chrome fins and the scoops!! Can you see I like them all??

Posted on: 2012/3/12 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51-3 use the accelerator. 54 is the first year for key start.

I'm rather fond of those years also and in particular, the 54 Pacific. Junior size with all the bells, whistles and styling cues of the seniors. One of my regrets is letting mine go -- but at least it is still being driven and taken care of.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Howard,

Thank you for the clarification! Always good to learn more about the details of these cars, and glad to realize i was off on that detail so that i don't forward the wrong information in the future.

Paul,

here are some blurry cell phone pics from storage. Basically, i drilled and threaded the boss and bolted a small piece of about 1/8" by 1" plate (sold in hardware stores, tractor supplies, etc) and then set the throttle bracket on it, marked and drilled it, then bolted the bracket to it. It's pretty stable, so i'll likely take it back apart and paint it and remount after engine rebuild. Also, i'm going to use a longer bolt with washer spacers so that, on the outer most bolt through the bracket, it will go through the bracket, through the plate, through a nut to make it snug and rest up against the manifold underneath it so that it's not hanging out on just one bolt. It's not needed, but would look sturdier. Hopefully these help.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.15 KB)
1420_4f5e41aaeb378.jpg 1200X676 px

jpg  (74.45 KB)
1420_4f5e41b0cc06c.jpg 1200X676 px

jpg  (55.65 KB)
1420_4f5e41b628fc9.jpg 1200X676 px

jpg  (41.98 KB)
1420_4f5e41bb6ec09.jpg 577X1024 px

Posted on: 2012/3/12 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Wow, thanks Cort! I really do appreciate the effort you went to to get pictures for me. The under hood part of your car looks super! Are you having to do an entire engine redo? I remember that you had knocking going on about the same time I did, though thank God that only turned out to be a stuck lifter in my case.

On a side note, did you have your car painted? Seems like I noted that a while ago. My paint is original, but the front driver's side fender was in an accident in the 50's and the lead repair is peeling off and I am afraid of rust. There are also lower body scrapes from a lawnmower or other thing along side a garage (before I bought it) so I am thinking of a repaint and I have no idea what I ought to be thinking in terms of money$$$. Would you mind sharing with me what you paid? Is that average?

Again, THANKS for the time you spent, the ideas and the photos!

Paul

Posted on: 2012/3/12 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I think i am going to have to do an entire engine job. The number 2 rod journal is tore up, and might as well do valve job and pistons and rods as needed, etc while in there. I think the detergent oil and MMO and seafoam broke a lot of old crud loose and ran it through the oiling system.

My car was painted when it came to me...a kind of OK job, 50/50 car, 50 feet at 50 mph. It was done in acrylic lacquer metallic, a little too green, more than factory, but ok on the car. No idea on the cost. Painting costs always depends on what shape the body is in, and how much you're willing to do yourself. If you mask and sand and block it and repair, paint and labor to spray is relatively cheap. And if you wetsand yourself and then clear and wet sand, it can look amazing.

For a really good to great paint job, but not OMG show quality, and me doing no work, depending where you are in the country, i'd assume maybe 5k?

Posted on: 2012/3/12 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think this is a good discussion, but would be better served if moved to the Post-War section.

Kev, what do you think?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/13 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
OMG!!! Cort, could it really be that much??!! DANG! Once I get up from the floor, I am going to sign up for an auto body and paint course!

I am sorry about your motor trouble! I, too used the detergent oil, but i think the lifter thing happened before too much went awry... I hope. The oil was drained and replaced with non-detergent the day I heard the noise. No weird noises since...

I emailed the pictures you posted to my brother-in-law for him to copy. Again, I thank you for sharing that, it makes several years parts useable for all of us!

Paul

Posted on: 2012/3/13 11:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved