Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

kevinpackard, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

push button motor assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I just noticed that there is no listing or part number for the sector gear that actually moves the manual shaft to select the gear. On plate 34C it is not given a part number and on pages 33 and 34 it is not listed. Perhaps I'm getting too old for this. I just thought it odd that there is no lock washer on the jam nut for that sector gear. Guess I'll look at some spare units to see if they have one???

Posted on: 2012/3/22 23:59
 Top  Print   

Re: push button motor assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't see a lock washer on my spare units either?

Posted on: 2012/3/23 1:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nor on mine. The mid year change to allen head set screw is listed in parts book but no mention of a lockwasher. Perhaps they did not feel it needed one because of the jam nut arrangement.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Note Gr. 3.314252 in the application listing for a base plate assembly. My guess is that the related, un-numbered, parts shown in exploded view of Plate 34C - that is, the shaft, worm and sector gears, thrust spring, adjusting screw, jam nut, cover and screws, and inspection plate and screws - were only serviced (at least by Packard) as part of that assembly.

WRT to lockwasher for the jam nut, I've not inspected this on my cars, but, generally, a jam nut is tightened against another nut/screw without any lockwasher. At least, that's the way it is on the aging Saginaw steering gears that I've adjusted for sloppy steering.

Is this jam nut elliptical or "peened" to also act as a lock nut?

Posted on: 2012/3/23 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
But they did put a lockwasher on the set screw that holds the lever-control manual valve - 3.57787. Seems inconsistent to me.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
But they did put a lockwasher on the set screw that holds the lever-control manual valve - 3.57787. Seems inconsistent to me.

I think the difference may be the sector gear jam nut is directly against the gear so two threaded portions are adjacent and pulling together. There is a stop plate between the threaded portions on the lever so perhaps that could have enough play to loosen things.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
OK Howard, that makes sense. I'll buy it.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 11:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved