Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

missing shifts - loose set screw
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, I decided to start another topic rather than screwing up the fellows thread. You've discovered the one picture where they flip-flop the stop. Whoever wrote that doesn't understand 90 degrees. I was having problems with a loose set screw causing missed shifts, so I dropped the pan and put a small nylon bushing thru the valve link and the die-cast arm. Then I threaded a 5-40 screw saddled with brass washers so it couldn't slip out. I double nutted it with a lockwasher in between. The loose set screw was causing me to miss shifts. Going from R to N I would be in H. I had to go to P and then back to N to really be in neutral.
I did put a couple of drops of Loctite blue on the set screw where it screws into the die-cast arm and also on the portion where the nut locks it in place.
I hope all this makes sense.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.81 KB)
23_4f6fce5c4fde3.jpg 381X600 px

jpg  (10.93 KB)
23_4f6fce6ad12a4.jpg 500X213 px

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:01
 Top  Print   

Re: missing shifts - loose set screw
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
And a thank-you to "Let the ride decide" for posting the link to the Ultra problems.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Which way was yours originally. Flipped like the picture, behind the lever or at the mentioned for 56 90 degree position. I could see the 90 degree and the 55 flipped working to loosen the nut if it wasn't square any time it hit the case. Both my trans are behind the lever. Don't recall seeing one in the 90 degree position.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 22:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, the 90 degrees are wrong. I think they meant that if you are using a 1956 stop in a 55 trans it should be flopped upside down and then mounted 180 degree different. Good thing they show a picture. Both my 400 and Carib are mounted behind the lever as they should be. I did make sure the stop was squared off with the back of the trans rather than digging into the die-cast lever. There was a mention somewhere (SC??) about the position of the stop. I think that was done because they don't show a good pic of that in the reassembly of the 56 trans.
Is that an original connecting pin in your trans picture??

Posted on: 2012/3/26 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I didn't realize this was a political forum. Is that the purpose?

Posted on: 2012/3/26 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is that an original connecting pin in your trans picture??

I believe it is but would have to check to be sure. One of the end splits broke off the pin that was in my operating trans at some time. A few months ago I posted about finding a chunk of metal in the pan when getting ready to do Ross' mods and the pin about halfway out. I replaced the pin as you did. On mine it was with a 3/16 dia x 1/4 long shoulder screw and locknut.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.90 KB)
209_4f7083dc4d594.jpg 412X344 px

Posted on: 2012/3/26 9:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved