Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955-1956 Driving Lights: Placement, "Correctness", Feasibility, Etc.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Having now watched the durability "video" posted here yesterday (Thanks again for posting), I can't stop thinking about what it would take to have the same lighting equipment. I am looking for all sorts of opinions and answers here please.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955-1956 Driving Lights: Placement, "Correctness", Feasibility, Etc.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't think that any additional lights add anything to the look of the front end. As a matter of opinion I think they detract from the effect of the design. But then I don't like mud flaps, curb scrapers and little balls hanging from the headlining either.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want to see what a 56 looks like with extra lights mounted above the bumper, look for the photo of the ex-Steinberg Caribbean HT; it may be in the Dawes or Kimes book - it's a well-known photo. You'll also find a similar photo in the Showroom section of PAC's website, click on 1956, it's about the 6th or 7th one from the top.

I do agree with Randy, I think it presents a poor appearance, detracting from the overall elegance of the frontal design, but as they say, to each his own.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 21:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm kind of with Randy but if you're going to add some, think something like the video -- small and unobtrusive low in that space would look much better than the typical large offering Packard had for the period. Those larger ones mounted high in front of the grill really stand out.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 21:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
To be perfectly honest, I thought of taking a beat-up pair of Dagmars and replace the bullet nose with a slightly concave section which could hold a pair of running lights. These would only have been a three inch diameter light at most. I looked at the cost of having the Dagmars modified and rechromed and the cheap Randy took control again. But that was many years ago and far away.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting idea. The request has something similar with the parking lights recessed that way so it would not be out in left field to do something with the dagmars--or you could even put a 51-2 parking light glass on the end to maintain the shape.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 22:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, you are beginning to think like me.
Be afraid - be very afraid.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 23:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved