Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 218

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hydraulic lifter prices
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher
See User information
G- day fellow addicts

Anyone know why Merrits hydraulic lifters for 327cu in motors are double the price of Kanters - are they better quality or just overpriced .

Chris

Posted on: 2012/4/13 3:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Hydraulic lifter prices
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
My speculation is Max's are NOS and kanter's are reproduction?

Posted on: 2012/4/13 4:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Call Max Merritt's Packard Parts or e-mail and ask Fred why the difference in price. My opinion is that when a part is reproduced then the NOS part's price should be comparable if the repro part is quality like original. Good luck

Posted on: 2012/4/13 6:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
A new old stock original American made part should not be compared to parts made by Chinese communists. I don't see why you think the original part should be devalued because someone made a copy. And how are you determining comparable quality? What engineers are certifing the quality of the copied part and what methods are they using to make the determination. Basically I trust that Packard actually had engineers and quality control people making sure the parts used on their automobiles met their standards. I am not against using new copied parts on the cars just that the copied parts do not devalue the original quality built Packard items.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 7:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the part can be made by Martian fascists if their engineers and plant do a good job. Let's stick to the parts (my spare's are old Packard stock).

Posted on: 2012/4/13 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I was using the Buick NOS center caps that I have had for years as the analogy. These center caps were worth roughly $75 each for years. Since a quality reproduction is now available the NOS items have been devalued. The issue with engine parts is there was a lot of aftermarket items which functioned and performed as NOS (valves, pistons, springs etc.) but priced less. It is up to the individual to determine what is best for his car and pocketbook. Double and triple pricing should not be the norm just because its NOS!!!! Just my three cents even if it is only worth a penny!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/4/13 10:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher
See User information
I am not suggesting NOS should be devalued because of reproduction parts and I would be happy to pay more for the best available . You have misunderstood my ? which was - are there any differences in the quality of the lifters offered by Merrit and Kanter

chris

Posted on: 2012/4/14 20:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved