Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55-56 batwing air cleaner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Another curious item is the emblem, #476001, listed for 1955 Caribs only. I believe the ring was gold, the "V" was silver (chrome-colored) and the shield was silver and red. If someone repro'd it I'd perhaps put one on my 56 Carib, even though it's not authentic. Yes, I know what I just said!

Me too!

I may invent something anyway along the design that is shown in that one photograph.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Joel,
I thought all the batwings for Packards were painted black?

below is a 55 center pod;

Owen,
below is the crest in color, without my finger in the picture. If you want to know what it looks like, look at the back of the 1955 senior broacher.

IT maybe available one of these days, stay tuned..........

Brian,

thanks for pointing out the difference between the air cleaner & the distribution chamber.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.96 KB)
1220_4f8cbb7d4f24a.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (81.54 KB)
1220_4f8cbbe9c1f92.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The air cleaner is a satin or semi gloss black. Previous owner must have got a good deal on a gold paint spray can. The rest of the assembly is at the powder coaters right now.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
If it was a running change, because of clearance issues, was it because the 56 carbs are shorter than the 55's? Adding A/C to the cars? Or just the latest design, and that is what was supplied on the line.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 20:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Joel, as I recall both Cadillac and Chrysler used a similar batwing filter for a year or two (on the Eldo for Cad), and I believe at least the Cadillac one was painted gold. IIRC the pods are the same, the top air chamber differs slightly in dimension and decoration (Cadillac chevrons?).

The few Packard ones I've seen that were on apparently unmolested cars were semi-gloass black, but today's restorers seen enamored of high gloss.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 20:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I just remembered some third-party documentation, which I cited in a more general thread on V8 air cleaners from several months ago. The link that I previously provided clearly bears repeating here:

BatwingAircleanerGuide.pdf

Although written from the perspective of a Pontiac enthusiast, it contains some interesting details on other vehicles that used this style of air cleaner - EXCEPT Packard. However, the contrasting info might help clarify some vague points WRT to the Packard application.

I strongly recommend this document be downloaded and reviewed by all owners of 55-56 Caribbeans.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Brian,
Thanks for the article. Did A/C build the batwing?

My wife put this on my desk, i left it on hers! I bought it at a garage sale, it turns both ways, but it slips clockwise.

The handle has MAC, but the socket has Snap-on, so it has been modified. Does anyone have one of these, or similar to the one shown in Service Counselor vol 29, no 6 dated June 1955, page 33.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.04 KB)
1220_4f8e0ec8198fa.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2012/4/17 19:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The pod decals show "AC Spark Plug" (a division of GM) - just as the air cleaner decal on the single 4-bbl set-up.

Nice find on that tool.

I have a Carburetor and Distributor Adjuster #2201 from K-D Tools that's similar to the Kent-Moore J-6044, but has a 90-degree bend, rather than the straight end; knob and bit are removable and interchange between either end. I'll come back to post a pic with additional details, later.

I think it's NLA, now, but I picked one up about 30 years ago, new, because I was tired of getting burned while trying to adjust idle mixture screws buried underneath so much emissions equipment on (then) late-model vehicles. Of course, I thought it might come in handy if I ever acquired a 55-56 Carib. (As the fates would have it, I did!)

IIRC, operation of this tool can be a bit jerky at times - perhaps due to the nature of its "cable drive".

Posted on: 2012/4/17 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Attached is a pic of K-D's Carburetor and Distributor Adjuster #2201, which includes TWO bits and a turning knob.

The flat-bladed bit is recessed in a tube to help stabilize the blade on the screw. An allen hex bit, with short piece of flex cable, is used to adjust ignition points through the window of the cap - as used on distributors beginning 1957, IIRC.

Note the red dots on either end; there's a silver dot on the opposite side. These serve as an aid for counting the number of turns.

Built with 1/4" square drive, this tool might just come in handy, with other sockets, for other situations.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.90 KB)
103_4f8f524dbdc14.jpg 800X400 px

Posted on: 2012/4/18 18:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved