Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 183

Todd W. White, Tobs, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Back Door OPEN!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BigKev Quote:
That same door was stuck on mine as well, and a swift kick from the inside while holding the holding the door handle was also required to open it.

Mine just had 20+ years of dirt cemented in to the door jam.

Gen-2 Firebirds have the same problem with the front door (being a 2dr HT) here in Pahrump because of the fine dirt. Sometimes even a serious kick from the inside doesn't break it loose. I've had to cut through from the inside to get a long screwdriver into a position to flip the door latch on the striker.

I think this is a generic problem with old cars.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/4/19 22:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
The latch gear deteriorated due to the door gap allowing water to drip down. Over the years that it was sitting in the salvage yard, it rusted itself shut. Now, it is on to the next door, but that one is SOLID. I see it requiring a lot of force to get open. For now, it is a 1952 200 deluxe 3 door sedan.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 23:08
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Perhaps that is "mother nature's" child proof lock.

My rear passsenger door was that same way and after kicking the inside, oiling the mechanisms (that I could reach), etc., it just finally popped open one day as if nothing was wrong.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 7:23
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Hey GearRat.....Your welcome. Glad I could help. You could have just welded the back doors shut so you could have a 2 door ! LOL Glad you got it open.......

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/4/20 10:18
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
LOL, that had crossed my mind. I thought the person who owned it before me had that idea, and instead of welding, used sheet metal screws or something. haha

Posted on: 2012/4/20 10:47
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Didn't want to open a new topic, but here is a slideshow I found that has the other Packard at the Lonestar Roundup. The '53 appears at 3:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ttV09OlFY

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:57
Garrett

Top  Print   

Re: Back Door OPEN 2!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Yesterday I was able to get some help from my brother. We were bound and determined to get the driver's side rear door open. First order of business was to unbolt the door hinges. From there I got in the back and started kicking the door, which really takes a lot out on your legs. When I got tired my brother would take over the kicking duties. After almost 2 hours of kicking, the door had only moved out maybe a 1/2". At that point I was able to see the latch, so a screw driver thin enough to fit between the door and the body would allow me to strike the latch downwards. FINALLY, the door was at a point where a good hard kick would knock her out, sure enough, that was all it took. YES, I have a four door!

Now that door works better than all the others. I will try to post some pictures later. There is some pretty bad body damage to the kicker panel. This will give me a chance to do some sheet metal work!

-GearRat

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:59
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
For Sale: NOS Door Latches.
No, I'm not kidding...

Posted on: 2012/4/30 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Here they are...

Attach file:

jpg  (35.12 KB)
3628_4f9f4e8201fcd.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (30.84 KB)
3628_4f9f4e9ba39cb.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (34.06 KB)
3628_4f9f4ea8e3387.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (33.07 KB)
3628_4f9f4ec3926cb.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (35.21 KB)
3628_4f9f4ecc9b4e4.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/4/30 21:47
Garrett

Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved