Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 186

DM37, TxGoat, Todd W. White, Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55/56 Vacuum check valve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a mystery. Some years ago while touring in the 56 I developed the "cloud of blue smoke" problem from the tail pipes. Recognizing the source of the problem, I pulled over to the roadside and found a twig to plug the rubber hose from the vacuum pump to the cowl junction block. End of problem and never paid much attention to it since. But yesterday I was offered some lift time at a local garage so in addition to a few other chores underneath, I replaced the valve. Nice to have it done, now when I stomp the accelerator the wipers barely slow down.

But when I examined the old valve, I could see right thru it from end to end. Only the spring remained inside, no sealing closure disc. Question is, what happened to it? In the other vacuum check valves I've examined the disc was steel, so how did it get out of there? After all, the car ran fine without the problem for several years. Perhaps some of the valves used a fiberboard or plastic disc that disintergrated? Anyone seen the valve with anything other than a steel disc? Or experienced anything related to this?

Posted on: 2012/4/20 8:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 55/56 Vacuum check valve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i will have to look at the extra one i have, but i believe it has a rubber disc in it....could be wrong...could be greasy over the metal and looks like rubber. i'll have to look again.

if it is rubber...i will have to say it is different then the one on my car now. it is fatter and bigger. the one on my car is thin and skinny long.

wait....i see the jokes coming now.....

Hank

Posted on: 2012/4/20 8:55
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Hank, I anxiously await your observations. In all my extra valves (4), the closure disc was steel with 3 equally spaced ears to keep it centered, and of course a bronze or beryllium copper spring. I rubber disc would certainly explain the phenomonon.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i haven't forgotten...just been super busy

Posted on: 2012/4/23 8:48
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll be interested in your findings.

The scenario that seems to best fit the observations is that, prior to my ownership the valve failed and rather than repair or replace it, someone just removed the steel disc and plugged it with gasket cement or silicone or something else that over time degraded and eventually failed, opening the line.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Here is my 2 cents worth. I have had several new in the box valves with no "guts" inside, just straight though like you mentioned. It is possible quality control let a batch get by them and one made it to the assembly line. I had to apologize to a customer I shipped one to years ago. Whoda thunk it.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 14:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved