Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

JW49, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Altered hood ornament, was this popular back then?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Back in the '50s and '69's every J.C. Whitney style catalogue had a bunch of variations on the commorant. These were also very popular with "Big Rig" truck drivers - and if the big late model Kenworth I saw a few days ago is any indication, they still are.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 23:44
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe I'm over reacting. After all if so many of those JC Whitney knock offs were sold I suppose that says something about the design. Heck the CCCA even had it on their trophies.

I've seen the MacArthur car (and others) with the crazy surfin bird hood ornament. But that is not something that came out of a design studio. It made salesman happy.

I still think if you want to put a Pelican on a postwar car, then go to the drawing board and design a mount for it.
Ditto the prewar Deluxe piece.

Although I think the 19th and 20th series arrow feather and the prewar Clipper Bullet are underrated. Those were designed by a stylist.

However, from the drivers seat the early thirties Cadillac Goddess is pretty darn good.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 13:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Walter
See User information
Quote:

bhappy wrote:
Tim,
I see what you mean...notice the cormorant on the hood between the candelabras...BOUYAH

Wasn't that car in "Escape From New York" or some movie like that? Pre "Pimp My Ride" anyway.....

Not really sure what to think about the cormorant on the goddess. They seem more like a version of "Leda and the Swan" than a mixed metaphor. Either way...your car your style. But please... Ixnay on the andlecabrey.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 23:51
As soon as I figure out exactly what I have I will post it here!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Walter,
The photo is from 'Escape from New York', thought it a good example of what Tim Cole was referencing. I would never think to put the candelabras on my car!

With all three legit hood ornaments, and one unconventional still available, all I need now is to come up with a 'quick-change' arrangement

Posted on: 2012/8/23 10:39
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what would get the most attention: Candelabra or a set of slightly used horns.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 11:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Walter
See User information
Here is Austin, Texas I see horns like that (on cars) on a somewhat regular basis ..really.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 12:32
As soon as I figure out exactly what I have I will post it here!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I used to see the comorants on Cadillacs all the time in New York City and Newark. The drug dealers loved em I suppose because the wings could light up when they had drugs. The Cadillac godess was second, and the Charles Atlas third. After that they started with the crowns which were gang colors.

So whenever I see the Cormorant I am reminded of the drug dealers and pimps around New York.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Tim, are the wings-up variety the only ones that draw your abject attention, or do any cormorants qualify? I do see your point about the drug dealers, etc. I guess when it's been some time since hood ornaments were on most, if not every car, any car with one would stand out. I kinda wish they would come back in style (could you imagine the competition and beautiful hood ornaments that might come to be?).

Posted on: 2012/8/24 16:43
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I guess when it's been some time since hood ornaments were on most, if not every car, any car with one would stand out. I kinda wish they would come back in style (could you imagine the competition and beautiful hood ornaments that might come to be?).

I think our government had a great deal to do with the demise of hood ornaments. Once started, it was a downhill slide. Even the stalwart JC Whitney, purveyor of all things gaudy has gone from pages of them to around a dozen.

Not entirely sure the govt reasoning was sound but perhaps there was such an epidemic of impalements as to justify the action. Or perhaps that extra pound of metal caused such a drag, the fuel economy could never recover. Mfgs saving a few cents per car probably came into the equation as well.

Today I expect more than a few would meet their demise at the hands of the local delinquents or become gang trophies & status symbols. After all, not every car has the space and "heck with what it costs attitude" to do the disappearing RR approach. Of course with the size of our favorite mascot, unless they figured out how to fold and unfold the wings almost the whole front end would have to be of the disappearing type.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Replying to bhappy's inquiry

The JC Whitney knock off was the 48-51 version. It was on Cheech and Chongs "Up in Smoke", and I've seen it on diesel trucks. Although it was never my favorite, I thought it looked best on the 51. Whenever I drove one I always wondered what would happen if I hit a pedestrian. The last ornament I really liked was the 19th-20th series arrow feather. The androgenous 29-36 Deluxe is my favorite I suppose, but the early 30's Cadillac Goddess is tops in my book (but only when it is on an early 30's Caddy). I always thought that the upright Pelican was spatially an answer to the standing Rolls-Royce ornament, whereas the Deluxe ornament was unique.

With all the gadgets they hang on today's cars I'm surprised they don't come up with some crazy electronic ornaments. Give them some time. The people engineering these cars are crazy and the marketing departments totally full of crap.

It's a rather sad situation because everyone is living off technology that was developed 20 years ago. Since OBDII engineering has been stagnant.

Heck I had an old Dodge that got 50mpg at 55mph with a computer controlled carburetor. Yet today they brag about 40. Don't make me laugh.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 20:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved