Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

In 1934 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In 1934 Packard claimed the distinction of being the first automobile manufacturer to engineer a radio into a cars design. To eliminate the problems that had for the most part made automobile radios inefficient, shielded siring and lead-in wires used, the coils were changed ot prevent static, and specially designed dash board was developed by Packard.

Nearly half of all Packard's sold in 1934 came equipped with a radio.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/19 20:16
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: In 1934 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
And here is what the radio looked like in that dash (less the knobs).

Attach file:

jpg  (49.55 KB)
333_480bd4cbe5afb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/4/20 18:42
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Thomas: Thank You for the picture of the radio. That sure is one nice looking dashboard.

Do you know who made the radios for Packard in 1934?

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/20 20:20
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
The radios were made by Philco. I am pretty sure they made all the pre-war radios.

Posted on: 2008/4/20 22:12
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wades_shed
See User information
A little bit more information on the 34 radios. They were definately made by Philco for Packard. Also they were made prior to the vibrator radios that were made later. They used a motor/generator to supply the high voltage to the radio. This unit was mounted in either one of the glove boxes or under the front seat. I have completely restored mine and the motor/generator will be under the drivers seat. I was really surprised at how well the radio worked on the workshop bench, can't wait to hear it in the car.
Wade

Posted on: 2008/4/21 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That is one lovely-looking dashboard! However I believe that the ash tray cover was only woodgrain finished in the 1106 LeBaron Sport Coupe, most or all of the others were nickel or chrome plated.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious if there was much audible noise from motor generator or is it well muffled. Also, some home sets of era used different non rechargable batteries for various voltages & I believe some car sets also had them under seat. Any idea if any of those found way into Packards as stock.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:
However I believe that the ash tray cover was only woodgrain finished in the 1106 LeBaron Sport Coupe, most or all of the others were nickel or chrome plated.

Dave,

It only looks woodgrained because it's missing . The cover was still at the platers when that photo was taken.

But, what an eye!

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:51
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wades_shed
See User information
Regarding noise from Motor/generator. In my case you can hardly hear it. The motor/generator is in a steel box that is lined with some sound deadning material and then mounted under the seat. This is how it was when I purchased the vehicle, so I assume that was original.
Wade

Posted on: 2008/4/22 7:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved