Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 156

BigKev, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

WHEEL COVERS
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Will most standard 15 inch wheel covers fit on the 1954 Clipper rims? I am looking into using some of the late 50's wire whee covers.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 9:45
 Top  Print   

Re: WHEEL COVERS
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, except the faux wire wheel shell covers. These are retained both at the rim and under the lug nuts and since there are two different axle bolt circles in 1956 (junior and senior) there are two different wire wheel shell covers in circulation and hence whether they will fit your 1954 wheels will depend on which year and model they were sized for.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Owen,

Which are more rare, the "faux" wire wheels or the real ones. I've seen written here that the fakes are not common at all, and have never seen a V8 Packard that had them. A drawing in an old parts catalog I used to have showed a Caribbean with the fake ones. Were they standard on the Carib? Real wires at extra cost? I know this gets into all kinds of dealer selling and swapping territory, but I'm just wondering if there are manufacturing specs and codes... for when I find that pristine Carib in a barn for $500. I want to be able to dicker on whether it has the correct wheels or wheel covers.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, no one to my knowledge has repro'd the faux wire wheel shell covers, and there have been several sources for repro chrome wire spoke wheels (to varying degrees of authenticity) and they have sold well. So naturally the faux wire wheel shell ocvers are FAR MORE uncommon (I hate to use the word "rare", it's one of the most over-used words in the hobby), I've only seen a handful of cars with them in decades. Perhaps you've seen some pictures of cars with them, I've posted a few. A 55 or 56 passed these pages not so long ago. A set on a 22nd series which I don't believe is legit is below; frankly I think they look "gaudy". They are listed in the 1954 Salesman's Data book under accessories.

True chromed wire spoke wheel were standard equipment on the 54 Caribbean and I presume so also in 1953. In 1955 and 1956 they were optional equipment. I always find it surprising how few 55 and 56 Caribbeans had them originally (only 6 56 convertibles), and how few don't have them today. The build-slip data is available for the 56 Caribbeans to identify which ones had them originally.

Attach file:

jpg  (184.02 KB)
177_4f9ebb6a107c9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Owen, the six cars with wire wheels for 1956 is probably accurate but it does not account for the folks who ordered the wheels at the dealership and had them installed. I am sure there were a few. Just like ordering a spot light, traffic light viewer, visor mirror etc. I just had my steel wheels bead blasted and powder coated. New tires will be installed and the fake wire wheel covers will be installed. :)

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Joel, I agree of course. The build slips only show the equipment as the car left the factory.

Were you lucky enough to find an NOS set of the faux wire wheel shell covers? I have a friend her in NJ who found a set, used with one a bit battered and one missing the cap, at a local flea market, for hot dog and soda money. They fit 56 seniors. A real find - shows that flea market browsing can offer some bargains never found on eBay. Heading up to the Rhineback NY flea market on Saturday, biggest one around here next to Hershey - I'm guessing but maybe 10 acres of vendors.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 11:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
I lurk often and chime in little.

I'll go a little farther on the branch and suggest that the faux wires are rare. I did run across a set some time ago, and eventually ended up with 6. After I sold the '56 400 then the '56 Clipper, I ebayed them. I think what may be harder to find are the clips and rubber 'bumpers'. One or two of which I may still have. (maybe courtesy of Joel??).

While I often supposed they were a very similar design to Ford (et al) of that vintage, I never spent time researching it.

I think there may have been some 'seniors' on ebay recently but were not cheap?

I believe (maybe incorrectly) there was a 'junior' or 'senior' version, but again never fully researched it. I think the junior featured a 'dog dish' style centre - but I am way out on the limb now and I hear it creaking from the weight.

BTW if anyone is looking for a chrome trim ring - as shown in the 1956 accessory manual, I have one - NOS still in the box.

dongle

Posted on: 2012/4/30 20:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved