Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

TxGoat, Don B, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dash Panel Covering?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
My 56 Pat has a vinyl covered dash that has some wrinkles in it and is not smooth or tight fiiting around the windshield area. I am guessing the dash had some foam padding that has shrunk and will require replacing. I'm sure someone has had to do this and am wondering about what type foam and thickness of the padding is required, and any pointers or problems encountered.
Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2008/4/21 16:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Dash Panel Covering?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Bowman--the 1955-56 Packard dash pads were produced in a mold by the US rubber company for Packard. Yous, like mine and all the rest has suffered from the deterioration of the foam padding. I don't know of an inexpensive "magic in a can" fix for those, I have seen people try to take the pad off, scoop out the remaining foam and restuff it, it it looks bad. THe work of getting the pad off and on is something you only want to do once. Just Dashes in California makes the real deal--but it ain't cheap.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the vinyl skin is still intact and flexible, you can do a credible job if you have a lot of patience by warming it with a hot air gun, pulling it back from the windshield, removing all the old foam and cleaning the metal, and then layering with closed cell polyurethane foam. I choose to use foam that was adhesive-backed on one side, and used several different thicknesses with extra pieces here and there until I got a nice fit. You certainly won't get a job like a new Just-Dashes unit, but with a lot of patience you can do pretty well. But if the vinyl skin has become stiff and brittle, your chances of success drop off rapidly.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.57 KB)
177_480d175593d96.jpg 800X529 px

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Mrpushbutton & Owen,
Thanks for the quick reply and info.
I pretty much figured the dash wrinkles were more common than not. The vinyl seems to be in pretty good shape and not really stiff, so maybe I can do something with it. The original foam padding must have been fairly thin.
Owen, where were you able to find the foam you used. Did you have to slice it with an electric knife to the thickness you needed.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 21:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It was about 10 years ago that I did this job and the details are pretty dim. I bought the closed cell polyurethane from MSC in Harrisburg; they had a huge assortment of thicknesses and cell size/firmness to pick from and I picked rather arbitrarily. As I remember I used 1/2 or 3/4 inch to cover the entire surface, used a second layer in some places, pulling the vinyl back into place for a number of try-fits and then adding/subtracting layers here and there until I was satisfied. Forget about trying to slit thin sheets, just buy several different thicknesses and build up with them where you need it. Good luck with it and your Packard.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mr PB. I've seen Just Dashes version of the pad but they don't have it right either. If viewed from the side the dash should have approxiamtely the same profile as the front fenders looking at the headlights. I was driving a '56 400 from 61 thru 64 and the dash wasn't wrinkled or screwed up. It was not soft at all and as I said had the headlight profile which I think was deliberate.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 22:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved