Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 223

BigKev, HH56, Oldcaddies , humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trippe Fog Beam Headlights
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

I thought some of you might find the following interesting. When I was first looking at the '47 Custom Clipper it had a pair of Trippe Fog Beam Headlights installed. I really liked the look. However, when the car arrived in Austin on the transport the seller had changed out the Trippes for a pairs of regular tungsten sealed beams. The Trippes did not convey.

Several months ago I saw that there was a NOS pair of the Fog Beams for sale. I was the successful bidder and looked forward to getting a set back on the Clipper. Well, several months past, but yesterday I was able to marry the two. They have a separate lens - reflector - bulb, and the lens is not as curved as traditional sealed beams. Plus the raised Trippe logo in the center of the bulb, looks so cool
Here are several photos detailing what the lights are all about.

Also included is a photo of the Clipper at the monthly Cars & Coffee event in nearby Leander (about 25 miles north of here). It was the only Packard there, which is the usual case with these local shows and events. It drove like a dream and never missed a beat.

Thanks for your attention.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (31.35 KB)
565_4fcbc631684d7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.19 KB)
565_4fcbc63f40664.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.65 KB)
565_4fcbc6594dd69.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.02 KB)
565_4fcbc669ca064.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.40 KB)
565_4fcbc67e3511b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.21 KB)
565_4fcbc69519b1e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.13 KB)
565_4fcbc6a977e49.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.70 KB)
565_4fcbc6bd3c0a7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Trippe Fog Beam Headlights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. Don't remember ever seeing anything quite like them. Is the brown dot in the center the Trippe logo and if permanent, any chance of running afoul of some DMV reg or is Texas more reasonable? I know they get snitty out here over the least little thing -- even blue dot tail lights sometimes get them excited.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard,

Yes, there is a raised rounded part on the face of the lens where the Trippe logo is. I have the car registered as an "Historic Vehicle" and as such it does not need to be inspected on an annual basis. It is exempt from this requirement and has a special license plate denoting such. Also with this "Historic Vehicle" registration is a requirement that it not be the primary source of transportation and the mileage driven is limited in distance and purpose. All Historic Vehicle registrations in Texas expire at the same time. This series is up in March 2015. Folks who buy into the period have their registration fees pro rated for the remaining portion.

(o[]o)

Note: Edited to complete reply posting. Pushed the "Submit" button instead of the "Check Spelling" button. Operator error.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:46
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I apologize the the fuzziness of the image, but the replacement prices give you an idea of the time these bulbs were on the aftermarket. Fun to put period stuff on these Packards.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (24.16 KB)
565_4fcbcf3f6da5e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:56
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved