Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48 Packard Oooga Horn
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
My father asked that I install an Oooga horn in his '48. I have found many diagrams on how to do this... very simple, but...

I can not figure how to wire in the new button.

One wire goes from the Button to the relay. Where does the other wire go? One diagram shows it going to the Ignition Switch, but a wire from the Relay goes to Battery Pos, so it has its power.

I am leaving the existing horn, and adding a separate circuit for the Oooga horn.

Help please.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 20:18
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 Packard Oooga Horn
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on what kind of relay you have. What came with the horn or what are you using? Most horn relays need a ground to operate the relay which is provided by the horn button.

A typical horn relay such as Packard used will have 3 terminals. One to battery, one to horn and one to the new button. Is the extra wire on the button? If so, perhaps that needs to go to ground.

If you don't have that kind of relay or one having more terminals then there may have to be power supplied to the relay coil and ground by the button or even the reverse of that. If it's a general purpose relay then possibly the battery feeds the horn via relay and ign sw feeds the coil as a safety to prevent the horn from being played with.

Do you have any of those diagrams you checked that you could post? Any diagram or information for the relay on the case. Kind of hard to guess what you need with no details on the components.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 Packard Oooga Horn
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
Thanks for your informative response. I assumed that 4 wires went to the relay, and now you have me guessing. I am creating a wire harness for a customer and he asked at the last minute to add wires for an Oooga Horn. He said he already has the Horn in-hand, so I just e-mailed him asking questions regarding his relay and about how many wires go to his horn button.

Thanks a bunch. I will let you know if I have more questions after I find out the details.

John

Posted on: 2012/6/17 13:34
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved