Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where Is It Now?
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Anyone know if this car survived?

Attach file:

jpg  (97.91 KB)
1584_4fdcfee8340bd.jpg 1280X670 px

Posted on: 2012/6/16 16:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Where Is It Now?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's the Request and sure it survives, currently in the Marano collection. It was on the road with us at the Gettysburg PAC National two years ago. It was saved many years back by Larry Dopps on the West Coast, given a bit of a restoration by him and the story has been documented in a PAC publication back in the 80s?. Now it is receiving a complete and exhaustive restoration by the Marano folks. It was also shown at the Fairfield (CT) Concours a couple of years back along with a Balboa, the Predictor, Pan American, Panther Daytona, and others. There are some pictures on the PAC Forum of the event.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50

Also some pictures of it in the coverage of the Gettysburg National

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=324

Posted on: 2012/6/16 17:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Quote:
It was saved many years back by Larry Dopps on the West Coast, given a bit of a restoration by him...

I think that's a bit of an understatement. The Request was in miserable shape when found, back in the early 1970s. It had suffered from more than one accident (and heard one or two shady stories about that). Among the many challenges of bringing the show car back from the brink, I believe all but two of the vertical grille bars were broken and incomplete; new ones had to made made, going by just the two remaining example as a basic pattern. One of the huge cast bronze front bumper bars was broken in two, but was heli-arced and replated. That's just a couple of things that come to mind.

The rest was detailed in an issue of the The Packard Cormorant that was published some time in the late-1970s, as best I recall. Initially, Editor Langworth expressed doubt that the car was the "Real McCoy", but quickly backpedaled from that stance after further consideration.

IMHO (and only going from many color pix I've seen in a variety of publications), Dopps did an amazing job, given the limited tools and techniques that were available at that time. Else, the car might not have survived well enough for Mr. Marano be able to provide it with a full restoration.

Posted on: 2012/6/16 18:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Here it is parked next to Best Other.

Attach file:

jpg  (187.30 KB)
23_4fdd3ee839474.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/6/16 21:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved