Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 110

Tim, John Sauser, winger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 transmission shifting problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Keith, I tend to agree with Owen on this one. Packard used to advertise the ease of driving one of their cars with minimum use of the clutch. Start off in 2nd gear, then once underway, lift off the throttle and let overdrive engage. The only time one needed to use another gear was for reversing, or where low gear was needed on a hill, or at a speed where high gear was needed. But, for a majority of driving, 2nd gear and 2nd gear overdrive would work nicely. Packard's way of dealing with the semi-automatic and automatic transmissions offered by others.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/21 21:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Overdrive is available to use in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

The unit in this car was put together by a guy named Lyons, in Ohio, who is supposedly quite knowledgeable about making this conversion. I understand he's around 80 years old now, and I don't think sending the whole car to him is an option at this point.

While Packard's original literature stated that overdrive "must be ordered from the factory", many a successful conversion has been done, including two of our own cars, and one by a friend who is also stumped at the problems we're having with this one.

I remember driving Mr. Baldridge's car on a CCCA CARavan more than 35 years ago. I don't recall it having overdrive at that time, nor of it having problems. Perhaps it hadn't been installed yet.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 5:38
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Sounds like the overrunning clutch in the overdrive is not biting every time. That can be caused by bad springs on that clutch, or damaged or missing rollers. Or perhaps even extra slippery oil. Use GL-1.

Otherwise I would just drive around a while with the floor plate off and watch the motion of the shift levers

Ross
I think you nailed it, although, removing the cover on the transmission wouldn't have helped any, and there is no cover over the overdrive unit.

With some "exercise," it seems that the problem is going away. I didn't realize, but the transmission/overdrive had been sitting for more than 5 years after it was rebuilt while the rest of the car was undergoing restoration. We may need to drain half the transmission oil, fill back up with some kerosene, drive for a few miles, and let sit for a few days. Then, drain 100% and refill with proper gear oil.

Thanks, all.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 13:23
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
85W-140 GL-5 gear oil will work well in your transmission and overdrive units. You can also use it in you differential.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/24 21:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved