Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 71

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Glove box stuck closed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Help please! Any ideas on getting the glove box open on my 1941 clipper? I don't have a key but I got some picks from a friend and got the lock to turn open but the door is still stuck shut any suggestions on how to proceed? Again thanks in advance for the help I would truly be lost with out all the help you guys provide!

Posted on: 2012/6/22 15:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Glove box stuck closed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
If I'm not mistaking there are 4 screws at the base of the door for the hinges.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 17:37
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Re: Glove box stuck closed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Phils38cpe wrote:
If I'm not mistaking there are 4 screws at the base of the door for the hinges.

If the same as a 21st series, that is correct. Also 4 screws (2 on each side) holding the hinge to the sides of the opening. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to access any of the screws with the box in position.

You mentioned you had used lock picks and got the lock to turn open. After doing that, is the entire handle still unable to turn the 90 degrees to move the mechanism? If lock cylinder turns, but handle still won't open the door something must be stuck or damaged.

If the handle won't turn then it may come down to sacrificing the cardboard box. If like most others of that age, it's in fairly poor condition inside and could probably stand replacement anyway. Once the box is out of the way, instead of hinges, a single screw on the latch will let the locking tab come off and door will open.

If you do sacrifice the box, new ones are available at a couple of places. Here is one.glovebox

Posted on: 2012/6/22 18:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved