Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best modern day spark plugs for 1934 cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi,Guys,

Service time again and I would like to know your recommendations for modern spark plugs to use in my 34 1103.
Hopefully they will be of a type I can buy in the UK.

Thanks

Terry

Posted on: 2012/6/24 1:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Best modern day spark plugs for 1934 cars
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't know how readily they're available in the UK but try for Autolite 303. The correct heat range, 14mm, plain black oxide shell as originals, and if you have the correct high tension wires with the eyelet, the nipple unthreads for the knurled threaded thumbscrew.

Incidently, the correct high tension wires for 33 and 34 Eights and Super Eights were covered in silver/gray lacquered cloth. The correct wire is available in bulk from Restoration Supply or Restoration Specialties but you'll have to improvise a bit on the eyelets, the OEM style is NLA. Eyelets at both ends, over the spark plug post (under the thumbscrew) and under the large flathead screw on the distributor cap.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave,
I can get Autolite 295 which is a non resistor plug and 306 which have a resistor.
Should I go for a resistor or non resistor type?

Thanks

Terry

Posted on: 2012/6/25 2:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, if you don't have a radio I'd go with the non-resistor. If you have a radio and already have resistor high tension wires, I'd go with the non-resistor. If you have a radio and have conventional (copper-core) high tension wires I'd go with a resistor plug if good radio performance is important to you.

Resistor-type high tension wires can (and often do) have a shorter service life than copper-core wire, especially if they have repeating handling. Since I don't use the radio in my 34 I lean towards the best service life and least resistance in both wires and plugs but you'll certainly get reasonable performance with either resistor plugs or resistor wiring - but both together is not the best choice.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
EYELETS were available from Cole Ignition 585-342-9613(New York). Havent purchased any for a few yrs - hope there still around. Also on the SP end there was a 3/8 lg black rubber BOOT - Heavy Wall shrink tubing does the trick. Think Cole sold the wire also and if i remember u could order a made up set. Orig. lengths r called out in the Parts Book.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
I,ll go with the no resistor type. I also don,t use the radio.
Thanks Packardbarry for the other info.
Terry

Posted on: 2012/6/25 9:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved