Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 160

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955 Clipper Constellation power steering issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Although our archived edition of the 55-56 parts book show only Monroe for Clippers and only Bendix for Seniors in the 55th Series, the the lube charts in the shop manual (pp. 3-4, Section 20) show BOTH Bendix AND Monroe equipment for 55th Series Clippers.

Normally, I'd consider the factory parts book as prima facie evidence, but the shop manual provides a counter-example.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 8:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I know the 56th series is varied, but through personal observation thought the lines were kept separate in 55???

Posted on: 2012/7/12 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm the exception.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 11:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dpack
See User information
Thanks for all the information. I have been wondering if this was installed correctly or if it was original. I'm thinking the backwards theory is what probably happened. I'll get under there again and look it over better.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'm an oddball too. My 400 is equipped with a Monroe ps ram. Always thought seniors had Bendix. Hard to explain unless we be sharing a six pack.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 18:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dpack
See User information
I got it turned around and back on the correct way. Now I think someone cobbled on some pieces to make the hoses fit. From the diagram posted here, I'm thinking that there is just one hose that connects the two parts.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.63 KB)
4687_4fff58b6705a1.jpg 700X525 px

Posted on: 2012/7/12 18:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
My bendix does not have that metal line. I suggest reading my blog, I have detailed pics of a rebuild of the bendix unit. See my sig for my project blog. Henry's 55 constellation.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 18:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm thinking that there is just one hose that connects the two parts.

Not sure exactly what you mean -- just one hose. There has to be two high pressure hoses between the cylinder and control valve - one to apply power in the appropriate direction while the other acts as a return and then another pressure and return between pump and control valve. On Packards version, the two short ones on top of control valve go to cylinder and the two long ones off the side are pressure and return to pump.

One of your first photos looked like the two going to cylinder are on opposite sides (top and bottom) of the control valve with the two to pump being the ones on side with the tie rod interference.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I got it turned around and back on the correct way.

This latest pic doesn't show correct orientation of the control valve.

Quote:
Now I think someone cobbled on some pieces to make the hoses fit.

Neither of the hoses from the control valve to the power cylinder shown in your pix are OE or even correct service replacements. The work is just another example of a "Kluge job".

Quote:
From the diagram posted here, I'm thinking that there is just one hose that connects the two parts.

You better take another look at the illustration that HH56 provided - straight from the factory parts book. Two hoses are required from the control valve to the power cylinder. How else would a hydraulic cylinder be able to move in two directions?

Posted on: 2012/7/12 18:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dpack
See User information
Sorry for the confusion. The picture was a before pic. I was questioning the metal tubing as not being original. I do realize that all the hoses need to be connected, but wasn't sure about the tubing. With this tubing, I don't see how the hoses can be connected. I was thinking this was added to make the everything fit the wrong way.
Again, thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved