Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

curpack, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1003 Su8 carburetor accelerator pump operation?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Darrell
See User information
I noted that my accelerator pump is not being actuated by the linkage, which is a two-piece pivot tied together by a tension spring. It has been a few years since I disassembled the carb, and I vagueley remember seeing/understanding why it was arranged this way. The bottom line is that my accelerator pump does not appear to be working by the linkage. I can manually push it down and I get a squirt of fuel in the venturi.
Can someone explain the logic of this arrangement, and perhaps what may be wrong with my carb.
(I should try to post a picture to help with the quesion - I need to figure out how to post a picture)

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:31
1933 Packard Super 8 1003
1934 Packard Super 8 1104 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1003 Su8 carburetor accelerator pump operation?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The pivoting linkage with the underspring was designed so that if the accelerator pump would bottom out in the base of it's well in the carburetor before the throttle linkage had bottomed out on the floor boards, it extra pressure would actuate the pivoting linkage, preventing the pump from trying to decend further beyond it's limit, thus avoiding damage to the accelerator pump, links or carburetor casting.

Sounds perhaps like you've got the pivoting link installed upside down. The little coil spring goes on the underside, nearest to the float bowl cover.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 13:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved