Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

32model901, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

HELP! on '54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Normally, I'm a V8 2-door fellow, but there's a '54 Clipper 4-door with PS, PB & 3-speed overdrive I'm looking at tomorrow. Fellow wants $6800.

He says it has recent OD rebuild, new wide whites, 80K on the odometer. Where should it be priced at?

I'm thinking if it's straight and just needs paint and probably interior work, I'd go as high as $4850, offering $4K to start. Is it worth a look for that kind of money? It's a couple hours away.

THANKS for any help you can give!

Posted on: 2012/7/15 20:53
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: HELP! on '54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Take a look and go for a drive and maybe take some snappies so we can all pick at them and give you some informed (highly subjective?) opinions.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 23:06
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Take a look and go for a drive and maybe take some snappies so we can all pick at them and give you some informed (highly subjective?) opinions.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 23:06
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the reply, Bobby. It's a pretty good driver. I didn't get much for pics, but noted that the engine is a 327 "Thunderbolt." Not exactly sure what this is--how many main bearings or what the compression would be. 3-speed is balky and so is overdrive. Paint not original, re-painted in GM Turquoise. Probably hiding some body problems. Interior worn but not ripped. Steering wheel finish rubbed off. Tail lights crazed (no backup lights!). Chrome OK. He didn't take my offer, but turned it down politely.

Any details on this '54 Thunderbolt 327 thing? That's all it said on the head.

Crash-o-matic brakes had a hard pedal, stopped OK, pulled to left. Boot at bottom of pedal torn. Steering loose but PS worked.

That's all I have to report. Replies appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 16:10
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Heads are interchangeable and it was factory sanctioned to swap them around on various engines to change compression ratio. No matter what the head says, the only way to know true motor specs is by motor number. 54 was an odd year but Clipper Specials came standard with 288 5 main, solid lifters. Deluxes with 327 5 main solids but believe either could have been optioned up to hydraulic lifters. Not sure if the Special could be optioned to the larger engine though.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 16:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
This is a DeLuxe. I didn't check the engine number, unfortunately, it was too darn hot (close to 100) to stick my head under the hood for long. It appeared to have a single barrel carb, which surprised me for such a big engine (if it's a "real" 327 "Thunderbolt"). If it is that engine, it would be a 5 main then? Or could it be a 7? There was no lifter noise, very quiet, so could've been hydraulics.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 22:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 9 main 359 was used in senior Packards but all the others were 5 mains. Hydraulic lifters were optional on most lower model engines since 48 give or take so could have had them. Usually but not always, hydraulics had an oil filter so in many cases that is a tip off. Solids, if adjusted properly are pretty quiet as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.32 KB)
209_50077ad569b11.jpg 1032X105 px

Posted on: 2012/7/18 22:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks HH. I'll look for an engine number next time. Where would the filter be? This shot of the engine bay only shows one reservoir, the power steering. Does that mean no filter at all?

Attach file:

jpg  (130.00 KB)
917_50086cd2bc28a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/19 15:23
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless there is an aftermarket unit on a fender or somewhere else, the filter is not there. Packard filter would be using the two holes on head (front hole is also used for PS pump brace) between the oil filler and PS pump -- directly to side of upper radiator hose in that view.

Can't tell on the photo if carb if single or dual but Clippers would have had duals.

Interesting it has PS, PB but no filter.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 15:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The oil filter, which was optional on engines not equipped with hydraulic lifters, would be mounted on the cylinder head just across from the battery and ahead of the oil filler tube. You don't have one but it's easy enough to install one if you wish though without hydraulic lifters it's hardly necessary, even less so with a collector car that sees about 1000 miles a year. Just change the oil once a season.

If you look down the throat of your carburetor you'll see it's a 2-barrel unit.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 15:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved