Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 181

moodydavid16, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 Overdrive Acting Up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I was pleased to get my car running, and that the overdrive seemed to be functioning well. That is up until now.

There is a glitch that may have a simple fix, that some of you have encountered before.

When I'm in second, and the green light is on, I will shift into third and the light will go out and the OD will engage. I can still kick down, to cut out the OD, but sometimes then it won't go back into OD (the light doesn't come on). It is intermittent- seems to get better after driving a bit.

Does this sound like a relay issue, or do I need to check the oil level on the unit- it does leak.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/7/16 12:41
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 Overdrive Acting Up
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others can speak to the oil or mechanical reasons but it might be worth checking some electrical contacts. Heat or vibration could be affecting them. Since the light doesn't come on I would check the governor and lockout switch circuit. If the car has the two piece loom, also the Wade connector between the two sections. An issue in that string would prevent the relay from energizing.

The lockout switch plunger can wear at the bakelite end or if the cable is misadjusted, not fully applied. Just a tiny bit of lost motion could make it activate right on the edge and vibration could cause it to open. Governor because it switches so often is subject to typical wear, and the Wade connectors if you have them because it was a known issue.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 13:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I thought about the lockout switch too, but it only seems to do it after shifting into third. At 22 mph, in second, the light will come on. It intermittently will go directly into overdrive when shifting into third.

I wondered at some point, when all was working fine, how the OD knew the difference between depressing the clutch and shifting, and simply taking your foot off the gas and letting it drop into OD.

It's like mine forgot. Is my Packard having a senior moment?

Posted on: 2012/7/16 14:23
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
...how the OD knew the difference between depressing the clutch and shifting, and simply taking your foot off the gas and letting it drop into OD.

It doesn't know or care. As long as it's not in reverse and car is at speed and the light is on, the solenoid is energized, poised and ready to engage OD-- no matter the forward gear or condition. As soon as the engine speed is reduced a fraction for any reason -- to shift, depress clutch, let off gas etc -- the difference in speed of internal components in relation to one another will be utilized and the balk ring will move as designed to clear a path for the pawl to engage.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 14:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Howard,

Then are you saying that it's normal to go into OD when shifting from second to third? Mine had been waiting for a distinct change in torque- not simply when the clutch is depressed.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 14:43
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Joe:

Given you recently got the car on the road I would look at the ground strap on the governor. It is a 10-32 round head screw that provides ground and the plating loves to corrode. Cleaning it with sandpaper and adding an anti-shake washer will eliminate that possibility.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Tim,

That I will do. I just drove her to the store, and the OD audibly clicks on and off at 22 and 17 mph, along with the light. However, when I pulled back on the road, shifting into third brought her directly into OD mode. I floored the throttle, and she kicked down, came put of OD, but no light. Would not go back into OD. I then briefly kicked down again, the light came on, and I was able to lift the throttle and shift into OD again!

I guess it could be a bad connection somewhere.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 15:11
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If all is good electrically and I kind of question that with the light being erratic (unless things are happening so fast the light never has a chance to go on), then here is some mechanical info.

The engagement is controlled by the balk ring. It is possible that some wear or perhaps the weight of oil has allowed the friction characteristics to change so maybe it is not moving as it should.

Basically, when car is moving but not actually in OD, all components in OD are at the same speed and balk ring is "parked" blocking the pawl engagement. You can see in the first illustration from R9 manual. When disengaged but the solenoid is ready, the pawl is resting against the ring. When engaged, the ring has shifted a few degrees aligning the slot with pawl so it can move in.

It's controlled by the speed differential inside OD. Was going to try and explain but remembered this description from R11 manual so it tells operation much better. B-W calls it a blocker but the function & operation is the same on both R9 and R11.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.96 KB)
209_5004771f5fb0b.jpg 1122X605 px

jpg  (94.39 KB)
209_500477283f101.jpg 580X1149 px

Posted on: 2012/7/16 15:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
... It is possible that some wear or perhaps the weight of oil has allowed the friction characteristics to change so maybe it is not moving as it should.

I think this may be the situation. Physiological, not psychological.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 16:19
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved