Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Were any performance parts ever made/sold for the V-8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
This post was inspired by one of Craig's responses in another topic.

Also, I had posted a long time ago that Lou Senter's dragster w/a Packard V-8 was the first rail to reach 150MPH. I could never find a picture of it to post.

Did anyone ever make and sell performance parts for these engines? Or was production too limited?

Posted on: 2010/9/22 8:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Were any performance parts ever made/sold for the V-8?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
From the July 1956 issue of Motor Trend:

Quote:
Studebaker's Golden Hawk is a pretty hot potato as it sits in the dealer's showroom, but so far has escaped the active interest of the race drivers. A recently announced kit for factory or dealer installation, converting it into a 'Jet Streak', may change all this. Boosting horsepower to 330, it consists of an Iskanderian cam, Packard Caribbean dual 4-barrel carburetors and manifold, dual break distributor, and a special coil.

My additional notes from this article show that Iskanderian kit numbers for Hi-Rev series were 800-CBK-E4 and 800-CBK-P-55 or 800-CBK-P-66; Roller series were 840-RRK-RR-2 and 840-RRK-505T.

Alas, the Jet Streak package was stillborn - never released for sale. However, it's contemplation has been confirmed by a 56J owners group - documented in a factory letter from SASCO.

I've seen some Isky adjustable pushrods listed on eBay for the Packard V8 several years ago, but don't recall ever seeing anything along the lines of an Isky camshaft kit for same engines.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
but don't recall ever seeing anything along the lines of an Isky camshaft kit for same engines.

Iskenderian did catalog six different camshafts, four solid and two roller for the Packard V8. I've got the catalogs and four of the camshafts.

Aftermarket performance parts I've seen, own or built:

Aluminum flywheels - Ansen and Schieffer

Solid lifter and roller camshafts - Iskenderian, Howard, Clay Smith and Elgin (Never seen a performance hydraulic camshaft listed in a catalog, but I have done performance hydraulic regrinds myself.)

Adjustable pushrods - Isky (actually made by Smith Bros)

Race valve springs - Iskenderian

Solid lifters - Iskenderian

Adjustable aluminum rocker arms - Howard (Only ever seen one set, owned by the late Steve Williams.)

Adjustable cast iron rocker arms - (Never a catalog item. I made these myself. The adjustable pushrods require four hands and there is only room for two in the back of the engine.)

Adjustable aluminum roller tip rocker arms - (Never a catalog item - I made up a set of these myself.)

Dual point distributor conversions - Mallory (Only because the Delco and Autolite distributors were used on FoMoCo and GM cars and the same parts fit the Packard distributor.)

Welded stroker crankshaft custom built using the Packard Service forged crankshaft - Made by the late Hank the Crank

Forged pistons - JE, Venolia, Arias. (Never a catalog item. These are still available on custom order, $1000 to $1250 a set.)

Paxton supercharger - I've never seen it in a catalog, but supposedly Paxton made and sold a kit for the Packard V8. I've seen two installations.

Never seen an intake manifold, exhaust headers, supercharger drive or any of the more common performance items in a catalog. I've made up a few of each. Just common hot rod fabrication. Bottom line - rare and valuable! I've only seen one or two of each item in fifty years of watching for Packard performance parts.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/22 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering what other engine the Isky adj. pushrods had also fit????? As for solid lifters why not the solid lifter that would correspond to the MoPar hydraulic lifter listed here in the X-ref.

Not likely that Isky (et-al) made special tooling JUST for Packard ADJUSTABLE pushrods but rather marketed/made adjustables from some other application. Maybe MoPar. Ditto for solid lifters in view of the adjustable pushrod offering.

i.e. solid lifters tend to beg the existence of adj. push rods and/or rockers.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 11:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2010/9/22 11:24
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I'm wondering what other engine the Isky adj. pushrods had also fit?????
None. The adjustable pushrods were made by Smith Bros for Isky. They will still make them on custom order.

Quote:
As for solid lifters why not the solid lifter that would correspond to the MoPar hydraulic lifter listed here in the X-ref.
Because the old Mopar solid lifter is, like the hydraulic lifter, NLA. Yes, if one could find some NOS, go for it. Just don't bother calling Isky or any of the cam companies. I have personally visited and combed through their old stock and there aren't any.

Quote:
there is an aluminum flywheel on ebay right now. scheiffer made
I've got one of those on the shelf. It is really a race-only part. It's not really a good street driver part. (Just me, but I'd never buy from anyone who types his description in ALL CAPS!)

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/22 14:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here's the hydraulics still available at AZO:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Valve-Lifter/_/N-8zna1?filterByKeyWord=jb+879&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true

I didn't check AAP nor O'reillies.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 15:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
$24 EACH on those lifters at AZo ???? I paid about $4.80 each for them some 9 years ago. Yeah, i guess at $24 each they mite as well not be available.

Maybe try AAP website.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 15:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
they're cheaper from Jegs.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 15:50
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Aproximately how much are they from Jegs??? I've never used Jegs.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 15:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved