Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Headlights
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Was reading about using a relay for headlights..the person used two relays, one for low beams, and one for high beams, won.t a dpdt relay work?..

Posted on: 2012/8/1 8:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Was reading about using a relay for headlights..the person used two relays, one for low beams, and one for high beams, won.t a dpdt relay work?..

The idea is to get all the heavy lamp current out of the headlight and dimmer switch. Less stress on switches and less voltage drop to lamps.

Using a DPDT relay, fused but contacts fed directly from power source as relays typically are wired would mean that the beam on the normally closed contact would be on even when lights are supposed to be off.

The typical setup has the relay commons wired to power with the N.O. contacts to the beams. That way neither beam is powered unless commanded. The headlight switch then only has to power a few milliamps to the coils thru the dimmer switch. That switch selects the appropriate relay to carry the 10-15 amp current. When headlight switch is off, neither relay is on so no lights.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 9:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks, Howard,, think I will add that to my to do list.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 12:33
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Mine too.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 14:08
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For reference, 2 relays (preferred way), and 1 relay (load on dimmer switch).

Attach file:

jpg  (18.33 KB)
1_501980d732455.jpg 597X442 px

jpg  (21.40 KB)
1_501980e6e5a0b.jpg 500X636 px

Posted on: 2012/8/1 14:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many ways and locations to do the relays. Some have been under the top radiator splasher, others nearer the dimmer switch. When I did mine for the 56 it was as a module so it can be easily removed and reverted to original. It is fairly well out of sight unless you look for it.

Made a cradle so the relays could slide in and be secure. They are in a double socket which I custom wired for the purpose. A few inches of extra pigtail is provided to be able to remove relays from cradle. Mounted all using existing holes in radiator cradle just behind the horn relay. Removed the existing wires to headlight from L junction block and relocated to terminal strip on module. A separate heavy cable from the terminal strip runs to right side along front of radiator cradle where horn wire is placed. Another terminal strip is mounted on a plate in the same space in R side of cradle. Rt headlight wires relocated there. Original strip remains in place to hold original wires but is essentially unused.

The power for relays comes from a short cable between relays and the original headlight connection from dimmer switch. The schematic is as Kevin shows except I used a 20amp self resetting circuit breaker -- just as original headlights had -- instead of the fuse. Connected to bat post on solenoid along with all the other accessory feeds. Adapted a modern ATC blade type fuse holder for that blade style breaker. Located by emergency brake ratchet and protected with heat shrink to ensure breaker stays protected and securely in holder. All remaining lights are as original off headlight switch and protected by the original breaker.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.35 KB)
209_50198c6844a49.jpg 590X882 px

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Havn't followed this real close. But i would not wire up any relay to the design that if the relay fails then lose BOTH head lites. If the double relay circumvents that problem then the double would be best. Persanally i find the relay for headlites to be extraneous. But would it not be more fail safe to use a starter relay(s) rather than to use a 'litle black box' modular type relay???

Same concept with fuses. a seperate fuse for EACH headlite.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Keith, relays are cheap, reliable and readily available. Packard Headlight switches are not.

I've never had one of those Bosch style "cube" relays every fail on me. Only time they generally would is if someone was running them over their rated current handeling value.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No different than original design. On that only a single CB for all lights and if you lose any portion of the dimmer switch, you also lose both lights. And, as I said this one is modular so 5 minutes or less with a screwdriver on either (or both if you want) sides and light is back -- assuming the dimmer or headlight switch wasn't the failed item. The relays I used are good for 40 amps which should be quite sufficient.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, i run the little cube type on Fog lites. Never any problems. But still would prefer seperate circuits for each headlite.

Also when buying fuse holders for soemting as important as the headlites be sure to get NAME BRAND (such a "LittleFuse") fuse holders. Name should be moulded into fuse holder. I've had at least 2 maybe 4 no-name brand fuse holders fry before the fuse blew.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved