Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air conditioning my car will be the death of me, not the weather...
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I took my car in 4 weeks ago to have air added. Had all the parts and the brackets. Forty years ago sears put a/c in my bel-air in three hours and it worked fine for years.

This is a somewhat different proposition.

The mechanic isn't sure how to wire a single wire alternator and the provider of same has no idea.

Then there are the custom made brackets which seem to be done with absolutely no thought. The idler wheel rubs against the power steering tank. The alternator bracket is better, but out of line with any known belt path. It's somewhat closer than the compressor.

Then there is the a/c pulley on the crank. I was told the "new" pulley replaced the original and that to get three belts I had to save the power steering add-on pulley and use it with the new two ringer. After looking them over, it appears that what I have is a two ring pulley that fits inside the original one ringer for a total of three. Maybe. Then it seems to need a new bolt 3/4x16 by about 2 1/2 inches. We think grade 5 would be suitable.

If you can shed actual light here, anything you have to say could be useful.

FWIW the two mechanics are a Polish Mercedes expert and a good ol boy, which makes for interesting discussions.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Posted on: 2012/8/13 17:51
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Air conditioning my car will be the death of me, not the weather...
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
you should have done what I did in the past. Buy the air from the guy that is installing it.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 18:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev can probably help with the alternator. I believe he has posted a schematic for a couple of people. If not, there are lots of schematics online. If you are going to use the original wires, then a couple of disconnected and taped up ends and a jumper or two will be needed to bypass the regulator-- but relatively simple.

The bolt all depends on the pulley that was obtained.

If it is the factory 2 groove, then the bolt he is suggesting sounds a bit long. The original was 1 3/8" long used with a fairly thick washer. With the field AC install kit, instructions are to remove the stamped steel PS pulley and install the two groove pulley in it's place. They don't mention a different bolt but do say the with new cast 2 groove pulley the washer is to be omitted. There is no mention of a longer bolt in the parts manual either.

Here is a couple of photos of factory pulley to compare with yours. If yours is aftermarket, then anyone's guess as to what is needed but I'd be careful and check out the bolt length thoroughly before buying something.

EDIT: The Mark IV install manual has 1 3/4" long bolt used with their pulley. I believe it was a single groove and cars kept the factory PS pulley so would need to be longer.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.82 KB)
209_50298b7d64580.jpg 431X310 px

jpg  (28.24 KB)
209_50298b8906780.jpg 510X640 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 18:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here's some wireing diagrams:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=single+wire+alternator+wiring+diagram&gbv=1&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l4j0i30l6.484.5109.0.9031.22.14.0.0.0.0.735.1407.5-1j1.2.0...0.0...1c.8mL_a_rEZNc&sa=X&oi=image_result_group

Or google "One wire alternator". Plenty of info there.

I like this one with ammeter:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://mightymo.org/public_html/images/Projects/DelcoOneWire/AmpMeter.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mightymo.org/Proj_OneWire.html&usg=__MtHC6ZhGcU1j3nGfpOs0m0ig5wA=&h=384&w=512&sz=17&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=hU5dbnEEmz4zGM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=131&ei=1KopUN7jE8bl0QHti4GADA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsingle%2Bwire%2Balternator%2Bwiring%2Bdiagram%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26gbv%3D1%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

Most likely the best thing to do is find the OEM wire from OEM regulator to battery. Disconnect it from regulator and connect it to the alternator wire. Double check that aginst the Packard wireing diagram. Should work just fine tho and preserve any ammeter operations etc.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I double checked the factory wireing diagram. Connect the alternator wire to the wire that connected to the OEM "B" terminal of the voltage regulator. The other two wires that go from oem generator to oem regulator become extraneous. DOUBLE CHECK the wireing diagram in the manual against my above claim. THis assumes 56 patrician with ammeter. NOT clipper with lite.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
With one notable exception, these are wonderfully useful posts.

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.

We are now pretty much on track.

Do mood swings always accompany bigger repairs?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 13:13
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is the terminal layout for a Delco 10SI alternator. A one-wire version just uses the Batt terminal which is typically hooked to the main harness feed. On my car that was hooked to the Starter Solenoid Batt lug.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.59 KB)
1_5032aeceba56b.jpg 640X538 px

Posted on: 2012/8/20 16:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved