Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pinion seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Ok, so I just recently (within the past few weeks) had my Clipper's pinion seal replaced (along with trans and oil pan gaskets).

The old pinion seal previously had a drip which got worse over time to become a full-blown puddle.

I just stopped by my garage and noticed that there is a quantity of gear oil underneath the differential again. Prior to returning the car to me,the mechanic held the car for an extra day or 2 to check for leaks and drove it, put it back up on the lift to verify everything was ok. This is the first time I've been back to my garage in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Short of improper install or part failure, what is going on here? I purchased the part from Kanter just prior to the service so it was definitely new. Should the seal be bone dry or do they just leak? I'm thinking something isn't right here.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 5:11
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: Pinion seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I found this on another thread from last month:

Yes, the precision length crush sleeve sets the preload for the pinion shaft bearings. Count exactly the number of turns to remove the nut and install it exactly the same number of turns, no more - no less). Carefully mark the nut and the housing to establish installed position.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 6:06
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There really are two issues here, the continuing leak and the pinion bearing preload. They may or may not be related.

With regard to the bearing preload, if you're not installing a new crush sleeve then the only option, as noted above, is to tighten the pinion retainer nut to exactly the same position as it was in when removed. Of course this assumes that it was properly set in the first place - if a previous attempt to repair did not reestablish the preload, then whatever position it is in is useless information and you'll have to go back to basics and reestablish the preload from scratch.

Though the pinion seal is the most likely source of a leak, it isn't the only possibility so clean things up and take a good look at the carrier to housing area. Also make sure the rear axle housing vent is clear - this is usually at the bolt head on the hydraulic fitting block. If you find the leak is still at the pinion seal and the vent was open, either the seal is incorrect, incorrectly installed, or the pinion shaft is scored or worn (which often can be sleeved).

Posted on: 2012/10/5 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good suggestions from O_D, as usual. There may be one more thing to look at. The surface on the drive shaft flange may have a groove worn into it that will not let the new pinion seal prevent leakage. This can be easily fixed. Install a Redisleeve or Speedisleeve (names used by different manufactures, but basically the same thing). The sleeve goes over the worn surface and provides a new sealing surface. An easy fix for a worn sealing surface. A good bearing supply store should be able to find one that will work for you.

Here are two photos showing a sleeve I used on a worn surface where the outside rear axle seal had worn a groove in the brake drum sealing surface. I used a Timken sleeve, but National also makes them. I believe Timken and National are the same company, but continue to operate with their original names. The sleeves come with an installation tool. The sleeve I used was a bit long and I needed to trim it.

Good luck.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (28.96 KB)
565_506ef9d11b6d6.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (23.98 KB)
565_506ef9e33309d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/5 10:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A dumb question since I've never used the sleeves. Is the sleeve thin enough the lip of the regular called for seal expands and works with them or does it need a special larger ID seal?

Posted on: 2012/10/5 10:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I think the real question is where is the leak coming from? You have to know that before you can fix it. Also which model of Packard are you talking about, because I know that the '47 had a Service Bulletin about leaks around the bolts that hold the differential together. So lets step back and take another look at the problem.
Wes

Posted on: 2012/10/5 12:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
A dumb question since I've never used the sleeves. Is the sleeve thin enough the lip of the regular called for seal expands and works with them or does it need a special larger ID seal?

Howard, not a dumb question at all. The Timken sleeves that I used were made of a thin wall construction and used the standard seal. I believe this is the case with the National sleeve applications too.

Mal took a nice photo of you. Nice to put a face with the words we read here.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/8 11:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved