Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 94

Tom (Packin31), West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Booster for discs
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Has anyone come up with a solution for the best kind of dual chamber booster to power a front disc conversion for a 52 ?lots of places seem to have wheel kits like abs or kanter ,abs has a "universal " booster that would be on the fire wall but it looks like the steering and trans shifter links would be in the way

Posted on: 2013/2/25 20:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Booster for discs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is nothing that will just bolt in. There are 3 relatively easy options each with an upside and downside.

Use the air vent opening as PackardV8 and others have done and mount a new booster and pedal assy in that space. Upside is most modern units will fit. Downside is you need some fabrication, lose use of the vent, and the mod is noticeable.

Use Craigs method of keeping the booster in the existing location and do the pedal modifications for the proper ratio. Several have chosen this route. Upside is mounting requires just a few new holes. Downside is the pedal mods are needed, are noticeable and the pedal location is slightly changed.

Use the ABS Electro Boost in the original location and with original pedal. Upside is a kit is provided so you need very little extra & it's boost is adjustable. Downside is it is 12v only & the most expensive option. There is still the question with using the original pedal ratio of how long or how well the brakes will work if electrical power is lost.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard,

Well described.

Plus there is your approach which is the most sophisticated of all.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:54
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Plus there is your approach which is the most sophisticated of all.

Thanks, but my first approach with the levers I thought turned out to look like @#$^^$ in the engine cmpt and had other issues so it is officially discarded. The second is much better looking and works -- too well at the moment. Promising & still under development getting ratios right so not ready for prime time -- but not for the faint of heart in fabricating. One of these days I might be in the mood to experiment more and finish it up.

Still have the question of if it will work with conventional trans lever linkage or if it's for PB trans only. For all practical purposes the only current options I know of are those three mentioned.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
FWIW, for over 9 years, my approach has proven that it works. Also, I have disc front brakes on my 55 Pat, but that is not necessary as IMO the problem with the Packard brakes is the BTV.

Anyway, with a new modern dual master cylinder with booster and front disc brakes my 55 Pat WILL STOP when required. That's a good thing when the "rice rockets" zoom in front of you on the freeway at 70+mph and then slam on their brakes for whatever reason. If you don't drive your Packard much, then it probably doesn't matter, but I do drive mine alot, so being able to reliably stop is IMPORTANT to me & mine.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/2/26 5:52
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have a remote booster on my 1950 23rd series. My brake man says it is off an old Ford. It works fine off the manifold vacuum. You need to run brake lines to and from the booster. Pedals and master cylinder are stock.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 23:08
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's an option for a car with conventional brakes. Studebaker and others used the Bendix Hydrovac remote unit and I believe Ford used a Midland unit.

The Hydrovac worked by the regular brake master activating a piston in the remote unit which controlled the vacuum section. The vacuum then worked a more conventional master cylinder with pistons and cups to the wheels instead of the ram the Treadlevac used. Nice thing about that setup is the regular master was the failsafe and if something happened to the remote unit you still had regular brakes. Don't know much about the Ford setup but perhaps one or the other might still be found.

Not sure it would be appropriate to replace a Treadlevac since the pedal setup would have to be changed to a standard brake system and then the remote unit added.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 23:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
The booster in the vent hole,sounds the easiest if there's room around the steering and tranny links
,the leave the booster where it is ,is there a dual chamberblaster cylinder that would fit to the frame under there that would run the front discs?
The # 3 option I am for some reason stuck on 6 v

Posted on: 2013/2/27 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
ABS or MPB would have the necessary disc/drum master cylinder and proportioning or metering valve setup if you want new. The old setup would have to remove completely. You might search some of the old BTV threads for a picture and information on the vent location. Perhaps PackardV8 will be along and can point the way or repost his information. IIRC his complete booster and pedal setup was out of maybe a Ford Ranger???

Posted on: 2013/2/27 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&forum=3&post_id=29815#forumpost29815

See pics down around post #6,7and 8. 56 Exec with modern power unit. NOTE that if DRUM brakes are used on ALL 4 wheels then a 65 mustang SINGLE cylinder is much better because it has the residual pressure valve already built in.

I do not recommend a disk conversion at all unless u're running LeMans or pulling Airstreams up and down the Rockies or running 100 to 120 mph thru the desert in 115 degree weather all day long.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 22:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved