Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:33
 Top  Print   

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
That is good news indeed.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:56
 Top  Print   

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is good news but I won't hold my breath. The farm lobby is still powerful and Congress hasn't agreed on much of anything else so wouldn't expect this to be any different.

It is interesting to see so many new car mfgs won't cover some warranty items if it's used. Sure makes you wonder what the stuff really does to the air after the fact if it is bad enough to eat up engine components before the fact.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah, i'm beginning to think the recent 'sequester' is a major blessing in disguise since the flight of the Enola-Gay.

Would this suspension of E15 necessarily be the result of the recent sequester????

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
E10 is sold pretty much exclusively out here in Pahrump, NV 365 days/yr. My 55 Pat does OK with it, even though we know that the mileage goes down compared to E0. I'm glad to hear about this legislation. We don't need E15!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The farm lobby might be powerful but not everybody in the ag industry wants E15! It takes tremendous amounts of corn away from cattle feeding! (Ever wondering why your cost of food have been going up?) Another thing is that it takes more energy to grow the corn and make ethanol than the energy that ethanol provides!

Posted on: 2013/3/6 7:58
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Good point BDC. But there is a part of it that is difficult to understand.

How do the oil companies actualy convert the corn to ethanol????? Only way i know of is thru fermentation which is rather slow process, say no less than 1 month to maybe as long as 3 months for a completed fermentation process. Followed by distillation.

BUT, the dregs of the fermentation or even distillation process can then be fed to critters. Make the runt of any litter grow into best of the breed.

So why should corn used for eth production not then be used for cattle feed as a byproduct????

Note that i am no expert on this so i am probably missing some important point or maybe i have a gross misconception of the process????

Posted on: 2013/3/6 9:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Now if only we could get the government to adopt some good science and economics and ban E10 things would really be peachy. But if they can't learn that you can't, ad infinitum, spend more than you take in, I guess that's a pipe dream.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hmmm,

Maybe developing a device to separate the alcohol from the gasoline might be a good venture.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Starch (energy) is taken out of the corn and turned into ethanol. The byproduct that's left is called destillers grain. It takes roughly 4 lbs of corn to get 1 lbs of destillers grain (DG).
DG has no starch a necessary ingredient to get growth (meat), or production (milk).
Sulphur levels are 4 times higher in DG than in corn, so that essentially limits the amount you feed
Toxins in corn (which is natural) are 4 times higher in DG
There are many more reasons which I will not bother uou with.
DG is a good feed to supplement your ration with but can never replace corn.

Thats cattle feeding 101 in a nutshell!

By putting ethanol in fuel they tied our food price to the oil market. You either eat your corn flakes with milk in the morning or you fill up your car! Its whatever you use the corn for.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 10:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved