Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ask the Man Who Owns One:1942
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
This post was up yesterday on Shorpy. New Clipper getting gas day before rationing began. Looks like a Senior in front of it in June of 42

www.shorpy.com/node/14914?size=_original#caption

Posted on: 2013/3/22 20:50
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Re: Ask the Man Who Owns One:1942
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
No. Not a Senior in front. It's a 1939 or '40 Junior. I can't tell if it's a six or an eight. The taillights and bumper are the first clues that it's not a Senior.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 8:13
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"...the day before stricter gas rationing was enforced, cars were pouring into this gas station..."

I found a website, that revolves around "The Big Sleep".

Click to see original Image in a new window

Humphrey Bogart starred "Philip Marlowe". One of the cars had a sticker ...

"...The one that can be made out as "B" was a gas rationing sticker. Most people got an "A" sticker that was only good for 3 gallons of gas. People who used their vehicles as part of their job, such as Marlowe, could get a "B" sticker which allowed them more. "C" stickers, reserved for trucking and defense work, allowed owners to fill the tank. Prior to the war, gas sold for an average of $.13 a gallon, equivalent to $2.04 in 2010. During the war the price increased to $.18 or $2.83 in 2010. Considering the demands placed on petroleum by the war effort, this increase is not as great as one would expect. The reason is that gas was rationed, a process which blunted the effect of supply and demand..."

Stephen, thanks for sharing the pic. BTW Bogarts son was called Stephen.

[source: www.waynesthisandthat.com]

Posted on: 2013/3/23 9:38
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thank you all for an interesting discussion. Here is something more on it.

I had heard that gas rationing in the U.S. during WW-II had as much to do with saving wear on tires as it did with maintaining the fuel supply for war efforts. Also, the national speed limit was reduced to 35 mph, again more to save tires than gas.

Vehicles were allowed to carry only one spare tire. There was discussion in Packard service letters to dealers talking about how to preserve the appearance of the 6-wheel equipped cars with sidemounts. My dad drove a 1936 120B Club Sedan with side mounts during the war, and I think he had tires in them. At least all the photos of the car that we have show the sidemounts in place. Maybe the law was not enforced equally across the nation.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/23 11:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
JW you are exactly right about a tire/rubber shortage. According to my Mom and Aunt the biggest challenge wasn't gasoline, but heaven help you if you needed tires.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
JW and Mark re the tires,rationing slogan: IS THIS TRIP NECESSARY? Also seen painted on more than one B-17.

Thanks West for the eagle eye. I thought that those were the Senior taillights-more tutorials needed in the galleries I guess..interesting Goddess of Speed.

Thanks Guscha for the links. Knew Bogart's son was Stephen. Glad to see Bogie spelled it right.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:10
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you watch The Big Sleep carefully you will see Marlowe's coupe in several scenes. In some it has the ration stickers, in others it doesn't. I don't know why unless the scenes were shot at different times, and rationing came in while they were filming.

There is a scene set in Brody's apartment. When Marlowe parks in front of the apartment house his car has the sticker in the windshield. When he leaves a few minutes later, no sticker.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... Also, the national speed limit was reduced to 35 mph, again more to save tires than gas ... Maybe the law was not enforced equally across the nation.

John (JW), the below shown poster seems to support both your statement as well as your assumption.

[picture source: www.ameshistoricalsociety.org]

Posted on: 2013/6/21 13:09
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have a replica gas ration sticker on my 115C. It is an "A" version and has the driving guidance wording on the backside.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/21 15:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved