Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 187

DM37, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel sending unit
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WhiskeyMoe
See User information
What other fuel sending unit is compatible with a 48 Packard?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 1:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
1948-50 Packards. The 48 6 cylinders used one with a shorter arm. I do know of any direct crossover to another make of car. Send yours to John Wolf Inc. in Ohio, they do an excellent job of rebuilding them.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I agree-they are some use some kind of thermal control not just resistance. Wolf also did mine

Posted on: 2013/5/2 8:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WhiskeyMoe
See User information
I read some where that a 56 T-bird sending unit might fit. Is this correct? Thanks again for all the help.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
the t-bird works in the 51 up cars

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:40

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WhiskeyMoe
See User information
What other sending unit could I use to replace the original one? I'm planning on getting the original rebuilt but want to replace it for the time being. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/2 20:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know for sure if anyone has been successful finding a replacement for the 48-50 senders. Somewhere back in old threads either here or on another forum I vaguely remember a possibility of one person who might have tried but don't remember ever hearing the outcome.

Motors Manual, Eleventh Edition while it only lists to 48 says Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and a few other makes now defunct all used the same type King-Seeley bimetal gauges from the late 30's to 48 as Packard used in 48. Packard used the same gauge 48-50 so aside from the different sender arm for different tank depth, the senders would be the same electrically for those years. If that's the case possibly one of those FoMoCo senders for gauges of those years would work. The variables of mounting style, tank depth etc would making finding out purely experimental.

Some repro Ford senders fitting those years are available from Carpenter and some of the other antique Ford places at much less cost than a Packard sender. If you are up to experimenting, I'm sure you would have a ready audience to hear your results.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 22:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2013/5/3 10:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved