Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

The Door Handle Dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Folks, this may just take first place in abjectly dumb forum topics, but the problem is like an itch that you just can't scratch. It happens to be the inside door handle on my Clipper and its insistence on not staying put. Time and again when I close the driver's door, the accursed thing flies off, usually onto the floor board, but sometimes the seat. These handles are supposed to clip onto a steel post jutting out of the door panel. They have a small steel clip inside the handle that is supposed to act as a wedge (I guess) to secure the handle in place. It is wishful thinking to believe that this is going to do the job.

I am not the only one who has to contend with this particular problem. Other Clipper owners grouse about them, along with venders who readily admit that the clips are useless at this point. I have tried a variety of improvisations to get the handle to stay on: I tried a small piece of cardboard pushed in against the clip and the handle. I tried a piece of plastic, then rubber I cut from a gasket. I tried this soft plastic stuff we used to seal the windows during the winter. Finally, I found that the thing that seems to work the best is a small piece of duct tape (who woulda thunk?). But even that wears out and I'm back to Square One.

Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/5/15 12:24
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: The Door Handle Dilemma
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't have a suggestion at the moment and I have the same issue and have tried the same remedies.

If it's any consolation, Packard recognized the problem and issued a different clip for the issue shortly after the 55 introduction. Those apparently haven't worked out much better than the originals. Packard did advise putting a small piece of sponge rubber inside the square hole so the shaft would push against it and provide a little stability so the handle wouldn't move around or wobble.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 14:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
glue it on. sounds stupid...but do you plan on taking off your door panel anytime soon? and i bet you would be strong enough to manhandle the glue apart if needed.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 15:34
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thank you, gentlemen. This is crazy, isn't it? The handle on the passenger side seems to be just fine. Hank, when you say "glue," what exactly are you talking about? Super Glue? I tend to cringe a little when I think about manhandling anything on my car and I have to think that sometime in the future I might have to take off the panel to get to the window or something.

I am also confused about the sponge idea too. Wouldn't putting a piece of sponge keep the handle from sitting flush against the door post? Right now, when I use the duct tape, I gently tap the handle in as far as it can go so it might stay on a bit longer.

I'm really stumped!

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:08
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'll admit to not being totally sure on the sponge rubber either. Maybe I'm misreading their intention.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.17 KB)
209_5194002c080d6.jpg 505X138 px

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
If you post a picture, maybe we could brainstorm an alternative solution. ...one that would hold.

Good luck,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have photos from a previous discussion on how to remove the handles so here's what we're working with.

There is a square shaft the handles operate. Each shaft has a slot approx 1/2 inch from the end across the width where the sharp bend of the spring loaded clips drop into and is supposed to lock the handle to the shaft. I think the issue is either the clip isn't strong enough or the slots and locking tang are not deep enough. Several things have been tried behind the clip to give it more pressure into the slot but none have been successful for any length of time.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.69 KB)
209_5194099735782.jpg 992X545 px

jpg  (31.35 KB)
209_5194099fe78a9.jpg 700X1280 px

jpg  (26.21 KB)
209_519409ebac834.jpg 800X471 px

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm curious just how common a problem this is, I've not experienced it nor have I heard any of the dozen or so other 55/56 owners I regularly chat with ever mention it.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'll chime in. My driver's door handle had a mind of it's for a couple of years. I attempted to work things out with her to no avail. I removed it and replaced it with another.

Make sure that the female groove on the stem is free of dirt, grease or barbs. Also insure that the corresponding smsll clip is straight not out of alignment. I once thought about filing the female groove a bit but that is moot now as the handle is still in place.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I had this problem on the RR door of my 55 Pat. For no reason, it would just pop off and fall on the floor! I fixed it with some Elmer's White Glue. It's been on there for years now. I have no doubt I could get it off, if required, since the white glue is not "crazy glue".

On the other hand, sometimes those handles will fight you tooth and nail even with the correct tool and procedure -- and no glue!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/15 18:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved