Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fog IN the windows?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Any one came across this fog in the windows? I'm guessing they are double pane? Has any one had a cleaver way to fix this!? Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (67.41 KB)
18561_52462f1b42a84.jpg 1220X874 px

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Fog IN the windows?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
This is common in laminated glass like windshields but I am surprised to see it in a side window. They are usually tempered which is immune to this problem.

The only cure is new glass. Lucky your side glass is flat. Any good auto glass shop can cut and fit a new window.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
O so this is laminated!? I thought it was going to be like a school bus wihich is pretty much double pane style. Well ya I have never seen laminated do that either which stinks but I can get and cut that stuff!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That's typical of old safety glass. Moisture gets between the panes and freezes and thaws. Over the years the celluloid oxidizes just like an old plastic convertible window.

My modern car caught a Missouri hailstone at the base of the windshield. Later a crack went across at windshield wiper level. Then little bubbles appeared along the crack.
I had to replace it because the dumb state inspectors told me it was not safe (yeah right). So the windshield I have now has 4 inches of tint which blocks my vision. It also fogs up so bad I can't see where I'm going. But it passes the state inspection.

I was a lot happier with my old cracked windshield.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 23:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The side windows in all postwar Packards are laminated safety glass. Two panes of glass with a plastic or celluloid later bonded between them.

I just had a new side window made, and it was not cheap because it was laminated safety glass.

But I will say that it is much more difficult for someone to break into your car with laminated safety glass.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 0:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Ya it is! I haven't got around to the windows yet (rewiring the engine bay) you can get and cut that stuff for way more reasonable than paying some one to do it! I use to do it for Union Pacific on they're equipment and what not and they paid big bucks!!! But our supplies into it weren't bad at all!!

Posted on: 2013/9/28 23:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Never saw any of the laminate do this before, given the reason why I was making them new windows though was not because they were 60 yrs old either!!

Posted on: 2013/9/29 0:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If new glass is too expensive we used to buy bus windshields at the junk yard and cut them down.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I just did that job on my 1950 Packard. The glass was removed and put back in by my paint shop. The cost was about $75 each to make the new glass and $25 for the wind wing.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 21:43
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
That side glass is easy to fix, as stated. But go to a good glass shop where you live. You are lucky that the cloud in the glass is on the side window--on my 1952/200 it is like that on the windshield, mostly on the driver's side. I've not replaced the windshield yet, because I don't think Steel has the rubber gasket for it. Good luck!

Attach file:

jpg  (67.73 KB)
3440_52eec46095b4a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/2/2 17:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved