Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 caribbean plug wire holder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
on the 55 Caribbean with the batwing 2x4 air cleaner....is the spark plug wire holder the same as the 1x4 manifold? I know 56 is different all together from 55.

I'm just wondering if my 55 clipper plug wire holders on the intake valves will interfere with the batwing pods.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 18:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 caribbean plug wire holder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts manual (4.11094) says Caribbeans used a different left one. They also mention a different rear bracket. Not sure exactly what they are calling a rear bracket but Caribbean coils are mounted differently -- on the firewall instead of manifold -- so maybe that bracket is the ign coil support.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
maybe that bracket is the ign coil support

I don't think so.

The parts book (Gr, 4.11094) shows TWO of the same rear bracket used (only) on the 55-56 Caribbean models. Although the left side is not visible, you can see the front and rear brackets for the right side in the first image shown in the article on "Caribbean Carburetors" from SC Vol. 29, No. 6 (p. 32). I'm guessing those were needed to clear the batwing air cleaner.

Meanwhile, although we do not have copy in our archive, STB 55T-25 (issued to Zone offices only) advises of a problem with the accelerator linkage on early 5588 models rubbing the ignition cables and causing a short or crossfire. It recommends relocating the mounting of the left rear cable aupport bracket from under a screw on the corner of the valve cover to the left rear nut of the rear carb flange.

Could be difficult to find the THREE original cable support brackets that are unique to the Carib. Might do better to install the late design ignition support brackets as described in SC Vol. 30, No. 3 (p. 9). Though it provides dimensions for trimming the cables, I'm not sure how you could use those when going from 1x4 to 2x4, as the Carib wire set was different from the rest of the line - gonna have to shoot from the hip.

Can't help with pix of the orginal set-up as my Hardtop has the late design supports.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Thanks Howard. From pics I can find it appears the left side on is longer and sticks out further then the right side over the valve cover. I guess it could be the pic though.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:10
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Hmmm sounds like 56 wire cable holders would be easier.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the wire holder on the valve cover for the 55 caribbean looks identical to the 55 clipper to me. it points to the rear or firewall and is mounted on the center bolt of the valve cover. ...so I'm pretty sure that means it would not interfere with the pod.

the difference I see is the way the cable run at the rear as you have said. but it looks like another just like the one on the valve cover...just on another bolt.

so I'm wondering if the one that is on the manifold on my clipper now could be split into two and mounted to either each back manifold bolt or back corners of the rear carb. worth a try anyways.

also I'm hope so because if not I will probably have to get more wire and recut them to fit as I don't think they will be long enough for the 56 brackets and still reach the front spark plugs on the motor.

this is all starting to be a big PITA, and I'm not sure its even worth it to be honest.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:31
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this is the best pic I could come up with. it looks like it uses 4 of the valve cover mounts...two of which are mounted at the back of the rear carb.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.20 KB)
491_528437935fb69.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/13 21:38
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, there were FOUR ignition cable support brackets originally used on the 55-56 Carib. The 55-56 parts book (Gr. 4.11094) is a little hard to follow, and I suspect there maye be a couple of typos. It looks to me like THREE of those brackets (a left and two rear) are unique to the Carib, but the right side is same on all models. Only the two rear support brackets are identical.

With installation of the two late design support brackets all OE supports brackets were to be discarded.

Attached is pic of the set-up on my Hardtop.

Please excuse the modern wires, but the insulation on the original set was badly cracked, and I needed to be able to move the car to and from storage. It was an off-the-shelf set for a 58 Chevy 348-cid, IIRC, and I couldn't resist the 135-degree ends (as original). The length was close enough that I didn't bother to trim them, but the modern cable stock has a tendency to droop onto the throttle linkage as well as the valve covers. This will be remedied with an NOS set that I have since acquired.

BTW, though the air cleaner is set off to the left side of the bay, when installed, the pods fall in line with the front carb.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.29 KB)
103_52844c5263065.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2013/11/13 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I believe the 55 rear spark plug bracket is a one piece, not two.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 23:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I believe the 55 rear spark plug bracket is a one piece, not two.

Then why would STB 55T-25 specifiy relocation of a LEFT rear bracket on the 55 Caribs?

Perhaps you are confusing this with the single 4-bbl. applications. IIRC, those use a one-piece rear bracket that runs, left-to-right, under the coil bracket on the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 23:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved