Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

28 front brake actuator cams
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
I disassembled my front axle and removed the brake actuator cams and found different parts. In the photo the left one is from the left brake assy and the right one from the right one. I had damage to the right side where the input arm had pulled out from the cam so the place where the pivot shaft sits in the cam was torn out. I located another 28 frame and removed the can only to find the same part but quite corroded. The left cam has a cap on the brake shoe side and a groove for lubrication. The right ones have no cap or groove. Which configuration is correct? Do I have a later model left cam or maybe an aftermarket cam or do I have home-made right side cams?

Attach file:

jpg  (74.35 KB)
4951_52aa580881e08.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/12/12 19:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 28 front brake actuator cams
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The left one looks like the correct one based on my 6th Series 1929, the right one does not look correct and they should be the same on the LHS and RHS. I would think your 1928 (5th Series?) would be the same as the 6th Series 1929.
These cams and the associated universal joints are hard to find in good condition. They wear badly without lubrication and when dirt gets in past the worn covers.
Max Merritt used to have new replacement brake cover kits for these. The kit consisted of the spherical cups and springs.
I know of a 1929 Packard where the owner gave up on finding usable front brake cam/ universal joints and converted the front brakes to flexible cable operated using rear brake back plates and custom made brake cables. It worked well.
I am not advocating this because I like them authentic but he felt he had no other option.

Posted on: 2013/12/13 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I have some good used cams, if you are interested.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2013/12/29 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
I ordered and received the kit from Max Merritt. Not Packard quality I am afraid. The large cup was stamped from copper not brass and the center hole was mis-punched. I called and was told that was all they had but would send another replacement cup. Still, the springs and spring retainers were better than I had originally.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 11:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved