Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Patrician engine colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Are the valve covers supposed to be silver/chrome color with red letters.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 16:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Patrician engine colors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Silver paint with red script was factory issue for valve covers on all 56th Series models EXCEPT Caribbean.

Chrome-plated valve covers were standard equipment on Caribbean, 55-56. They were also offered as a dealer accessory, over the parts counter, for all other models, but only with emboseed Packard script (not Clipper).

Some of the chrome-plated covers have no paint on the script, but I know someone who had one brand-new in the box that has red painted script. My Carib Hardtop still has some red paint left on the script.

This is only an undocumented guess, but I've always felt that they left the script unpainted on the chrome-lated covers for 55, since the Packard script was white on (black) painted covers. That is, I don't think the white paint would have shown up well.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 16:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Isn't the red on the script somewhat orangeish-red? almost like small block Chevy orange but a little darker?
I remember seeing Robert Fordyce (sp?) Patrician both as a rolling chassis at the 1999 Centennial meet and then as a magnificent finished car, and I know he did some very painstaking research on every aspect of this restoration.
The silver paint is metallic, IIRC.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
To me it appears to be the same red as the hex on the hubcaps.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 20:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
To me it appears to be the same red as the hex on the hubcaps.

Ditto, though the hex on the full wheel covers doesn't seem to have much gloss (even NOS, right out of the bag).

The Moly Orange paint used on SBCs up through 1976 isn't even close; it might have a touch of red to it, but not enough to rightfully call it red.

However, Chevy did paint some early SBCs (1955-56?) in another shade that was actually labelled as 'red', but I don't have a sample for comparison.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From what I've seen, give or take a little variation here or there Packard seems to have used pretty much the same red for hub cap centers throughout their history. If it's still available, Cook & Dunn's "Flame Red" enamel is a pretty good match right out of the can, though its easy to tint if you wish.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 11:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved