Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mechanic has time now; I have questions....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Looked in the manual and on the parts plates to find anything on removing the front bumper and the grille bit below it. (for chrome and some straightening). Am I blind to the obvious again? Are there any caveats here?

Have a hum in the rear end when applying power. The manual is extensive here; what I worry about are tricks of the trade. Seems to be more on the driver's side. Figured to replace axle bearings and relube the rear end so have round gasket for rear end and new axle bearings and seals. Anything else that should automatically be replaced/resealed/rewhatevered?

When the car is on the rack there seems to be a lot of play in the rear end. Spin a rear tire and you get a lot of movement between forward and rearward...can this be tightened--or should it...

Any tools needed that can absolutely not be worked around with standard stuff? Have the means to press on the bearings.....

As always, thanks to those who watch out for us doofuses....

Posted on: 2014/1/14 19:57
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Mechanic has time now; I have questions....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bumper is several pieces all bolted together. The entire assy is then essentially one piece which connect to frame by two 1/2" bolts thru large brackets on each side.

One of the bolts on each side is a special eccentric bolt. If rusted and reluctant to come off, try not to damage those bolts. The bolts have an offset which fit in an oversized hole and when turned, will move the bumper slightly to level and align it to the upper section of the grill.

Once the entire bumper is off, the brackets can be unbolted from the bumper pieces (if needed for clearance) and the screen assy can be removed. If the screen has never been off, it may be "riveted" to the vertical chrome louver type pieces. The attachment means is not separate rivets but rather part of the chrome casting which was pressed and formed over like a rivet. If so, those "rivets" will have to be drilled flush so the screen can remove. To reattach screen, the chrome pieces can be carefully drilled to accept short sheet metal screws and then screen reattached with washers and the sheet metal screws.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 20:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pat, can we assume you've checked and maintained the lubricant in the rear axle?

Noise on acceleration (or deceleration) is most likely not wheel bearings but results from incorrect contact between the ring and pinion gear, most likely the result of worn pinion bearings or incorrect preload on the pinion bearings. If left uncorrected long enough you'll be shopping for a new ring and pinion. Setting up a hypoid rear axle is a bit of specialty so I'd look for someone who specializes in this work, though the axle is a Dana which is very common so finding such a person shouldn't be that difficult.

If your rear axle is a Twin Traction and the carrier exhibits considerable wear, you might consider locating a conventional carrier; that's what I did in my 56 Carib when the rear axle began exhibiting noises. The conventional differential carrier, though not offering the advantages of the TT, is more robust and longer lived, IMO.

EDIT: What seems like a lot of play in the rear end when rotating a tire and watching the driveshaft for movement doesn't necessarily mean problems, there is freeplay in the axle and driveshaft sliding splines, a little backlash in the ring/pinion, etc. But noise in the differential is another matter.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Should have noted that the rear end is not TT.Sounds great, but glad here that I do not have one...

Noise is sided, meaning louder on the passenger side. There is a possibility it is a wheel issue. The car came with the wires and the right rear made occasional horrendous screeches which turned out to be a wheel that fit a bit too tightly on whatever the wheel fits on. After considerable contemplation a little grinding fixed that issue. The hum now is not similar, FWIW.

To the best of my knowledge the rear end is properly lubricated.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 18:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved