Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

58survivor, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fan belt width
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Does anybody know the correct belt width for a 38 Packard 8? I developed a squeal at higher RPMs and my belt is aligned and tight but the belt looks like it's riding a little low in the pulleys. I currently have a 5/8" belt. I this correct?

Posted on: 2014/1/25 14:46
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan belt width
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The belt I have on my 39 120 is too small, and squeals as well. I'll go measure it as I know it rides too low in the pulley.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
just checked the one on the 120. It is 7/16" wide at the top; probably called a half inch belt. It does squeal when you rev the engine. My mechanic has chastised me and told me to get a 3/4" or perhaps a 5/8" belt. The belt should be slightly above the surface of the water pump pulley. Soon as I find one, I'll post the number on the site.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here's what salty dog has listed on the Parts X-Ref file:

Fan belt 300192, 120&115C, 1935-1937, 25-11430 Napa

Fan Belt 320517 110&120 1938-1941 25-24489 Napa

Posted on: 2014/1/25 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Phil:

Those belts have been a problem for ages. The squeal comes from the inside of the belt accelerating at a different rate than the outside of the belt as it goes around the pulley.

The wider belt rides higher in the pulley so that a portion is not subject to the acceleration change and absorbs the differential.

Anyway, try running a lower tension. The old timers used to set those belts so that they could turn the fan with their hand. There is still plenty to drive the generator and water pump, but there is enough slack to absorb the speed difference as it goes around the water pump.

Another option is ordering a custom sized belt. McMaster-Carr lists 11/16 and 7/8 belt widths. It takes a little work to estimate the circumference. I did this once for a Model 18 Packard. I don't remember off hand the width of the pulley on the junior Packards.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 9:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm diligently searching for my vintage Gates catalog which listed belts back into the teens; haven't found it yet but if I do I'll come back on this.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 14:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave Grubbs, pat your mechanic on the back and buy him a drink! My vintage catalog specifies Dayco 24490 for 38-40 Packard with 245 and 282 engines. You may have to convert that older # to their current system. Specs are:

Effective length: 49
Outside circumference: 49-23/32
Angle: 38 degrees
Width: 3/4

Posted on: 2014/1/28 18:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved