Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 257

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How did you get the gold trim plated-and with what?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
How did you get the gold trim plated-and with what?

Doing the bumper/grill this year with chrome, but he doesn't do gold/yellow.

Anyone have recommendations and, as always, some idea of cost.

What are the alternatives to gold? Can you anodize pot metal?

Posted on: 2014/2/11 19:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: How did you get the gold trim plated-and with what?
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Google-gold plating- and do your research!!!!!

Posted on: 2014/2/11 19:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Come on Pat, you should be able to figure this out on your own; why not try the yellow pages for a starter.

Environmental requirements have pretty much eliminated the mom and pop plating shops and those left are large and most good-size electroplating firms offer a variety of types of plating, or subcontract work out to other firms for work they don't do inhouse. I've used quite a few firms for automotive plating and they all did gold plating. If the firm you're dealing with doesn't, then look for another one.

Do the plating of the items that were gold on your Packard with some substitute and it's likely to be a decision you'll regret - when you find a plater who does gold ask him what he recommends - the circles and script on my 56 were done in 14kt about 12 years ago, still looks great today.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
You really have to search to find platers these days. In the Atlanta area they are few and far between, most are middlemen who take in plating jobs and then farm them out. In my area (Columbus, Georgia) there are NO platers to be found. EPA has driven them all out. Also the cost is prohibitive as the price of Gold is over 1,500 oz. Since my cars will never judged at a Packard meet, I took the shortcut and used gold spray paint. True it does not shine as much, but I am not out much money. In this day and age I have learned to live without frills.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 11:45
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is powder coating an option, or will that add to much to the metal?

EDIT:

OR

How about this?
http://youtu.be/A-1cTpSZ1l8

Posted on: 2014/2/12 12:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on a recent experience by a friend who had his "rings" replated in gold (presumeably 14kt), the cost including polishing and repair of some pitting was $150, about $30 extra cost for doing it in gold.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Google-gold plating- and do your research!!!!!

I asked you this question in person and could not pry a useful answer from your lips.

You were also quick to criticize people who go to any old plater on the internet.

Obviously a number of platers have websites and some can/will do gold in some form.

It ought to be obvious to anyone who responds regularly here that what is sought desperately is vendors that offer good value and decent, consistent work. You are the only way I have of getting useful feedback on which vendors meet that criteria.

Just because a vendor claims to be the best deal on his website means next to nothing--particularly in the shadow role of plating.

Of course you can have your trim plated without removing it from your car. I assume this is the plastic stuff shown on Jay Leno's garage? It may be real gold for all I know, but I don't think I want it...or do I. My rings need some metalwork first....

There is no subject on this website that generates more comments and less actual help.... My bumper and grille are currewntly at a plater (doesn't do gold); I will report on the finished product when I get it.

Posted on: 2014/2/14 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHzjYN_L3M&feature=youtu.be

hope this work,,these guys do all colors

Posted on: 2014/2/14 16:03
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
You are the one that should investigate the different vendors and make your own decisions based on your findings. Everyone is different and has different values and requirements. If you dont know what you want how can someone tell you. It is like asking for directions and you dont know the address. You say you have a plater well maybe you should talk to him about a substitute for gold/yellow plating. Like I said If you want it done as show go to Finishing Touch in Chicago-----THE END

Posted on: 2014/2/14 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
hope this work,,these guys do all colors

It's the plastic process and I have to say it looks fascinating. The video directs you to a manufacturer of such equipment.I imagine that, for best results, the trim should be polished and filled beforehand.

Has anyone had this done to anything on their car? Love to know how it went.

Posted on: 2014/2/15 1:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved