Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

R-9 Overdrive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
This is my second post about my R-9 overdrive unit. The first replys I had all talked to electrical issues. Thanks all that replied, electrically all is well.

The issue I have is the overdrive appears to be "locked out" even when the cable is pushed in. The cable works properly and the lever on the overdrive unit travels properly.

When you drive the car with the overdrive "enabled" the vehicle does not "freewheel" or "coast". It decelerates under engine braking just like the overdrive is locked out.

This problem first started while I was driving down the freeway at about 65 MPH. the overdrive unit, without warning, suddenly locked itself out. It basicly downshifted from overdrive to 3rd without warning. Since then the car does not "freewheel or coast".
I have searched the forums and found comments about R-9 units "locking up" but no response as to why. I know that Packard went to R-11 units shortly after my car was built and I suspect it was due to problems with the R-9.

Can anyone tell me what causes the "lockup"?

It was working perfectly right until it quit.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 11:38
 Top  Print   

Re: R-9 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The problem that causes the R9 reverse mechanical lockup issue is detailed in Aug 15, 1947 Service Counselor Vol 21 #15.

There is a description of how the normal functioning OD works in the Econodrive Training Manual.

One thing I would be wondering about that MIGHT be causing your present condition is the large spring controlling the splined shift sleeve has broken or something else happened to jam the works & is now preventing the shift sleeve from moving. If the spring can't push the sleeve forward to clear the planetary and over running clutch spines so they can rotate independently when the lockout lever is in the OD position, it will remain locked out. Normally, smaller springs and normal use of reverse will push the sleeve to the locked position so without a counter spring, there it will stay.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm afraid that you are just going to have take it off and have a look. Fortunately you can remove the overdrive housing without removing the transmission. You will of course need to remove the driveshaft and the rearmost engine mount. All of this is further aided by removing the big coverplate on the transmission hump.

I am assuming that there was some sort of bang when all of this occurred. There is a good chance you will find either the overrunning clutch jammed, or your planetary set looking like a bomb went off.

It is possible that somehow the sliding sleeve that provides lockout has slid rearward and will not come back to the overdrive available position, but that is unlikely.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
Gentlemen,
Thank you both for your replies. As I suspected, it has to come apart.
I'm hoping for a broken spring but will prepare for the worst.
After this happened I drained and refilled the transmission and overdrive and fluids were full and no chunks were found. I may be lucky!
I will post my results.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 20:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tom in KCMO
See User information
Bill,

One further diagnosis would be to disconnect the lockout cable at the overdrive and unscrew the governor. If you manually pull the lockout lever forward it should spring back rearward when released. You should be able to feel the lockout ring move forward (freewheel) and back (lockout) through the governor port.

Tom
(Station Sedan with an R9 overdrive)

Posted on: 2014/4/3 11:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
Guys,
thanks for your replys. I am in the process of removing the tailhousing and the overdrive unit. I have removed the rear mount, driveshaft, governor, speedo cable, overdrive linkage and the bolts that hold the housing to the transmission. Problem, I can't get the housing to come off. It pulls back about a quarter inch and no further. This appears to be the limit of the lockout lever movement.
I have removed the rear flange from the output shaft with no help. Can somebody help me, PLEASE!!!
mMy cell #206-669-4775
Thanks, Bill

Posted on: 2014/4/5 14:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if you found your problem. Been too many years since I took one off to remember the steps but according to the training manual it should come off without too much difficulty.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

It says the rollers may fall off when you remove the case so instructions are in the training manual on how to hold them on when you replace the case.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.34 KB)
209_5340765176d74.jpg 783X887 px

Posted on: 2014/4/5 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
I'm a auto mechanic by trade and have read the manuals. It says it should pull right off, mine won't. I'm regrouping this afternoon and will attack it again tomorrow. The lockout collar moves and the output shaft moves front to back on the overrunning clutch assembly, it appears the lockout collar won't move rearward enough to release the overdrive planetarys. I just can't figure out why. I have it up on a hoist at my shop so I can see. If the lockout collar won't come off the planetarys the overdrive housing can't be removed.

Posted on: 2014/4/5 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, You need to drive out the tapered pin which holds the manual control shaft in the overdrive case. Pull out the control shaft as far as possible to disengage the operating cam from the slotted shift rail. It drove me crazy trying to get mty gearbox apart. it is in the manual. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2014/4/6 2:31
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
That's the procedure on the R-11. I have a R-9. I tried removing the shifter shaft you reference, it's installed from inside the case on the R-9 and only pushes in. The later manual is not very clear, it describes the R-11 procedures and then states the R-9 is "similar". Thanks for the response.
I think the overdrive shaft (output) is stuck to the transmission shaft by a broken overrunning clutch assembly. I'll keep everyone posted.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 9:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved